Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Time spent learning about myself.....
Posted By: MJB DIGITAL, 10-28-2009, 05:15 PM

I haven't done any work today except mail off cameras to repair for end of season maintenaince and work on ONE photograph. This photograph I shot a few weeks ago and had the RAW shot opened in adobe camera raw.

I was recording my tracking numbers and what not, and an old lady appeared in the window to look at some photographs.I didnt shave today and I had the lights off because I have no meetings and I was planning on just working on this end of season wedding overload. But I started talking to 'Mickey'. I don't know how old she was but her grandchildren are older than me. She was talking about making prints (not lithographs, those are all mechanical, she said).

After talking for a while about different things in St. Louis that have changed, she started to mention and ask questions about photographs such as this one, so I brought her into the office, turned the lights on [showed her an autofocus camera after she said 'whats autofocus?'] and brought her around the desk to see what she said about the photograph.

Immediately she started talking about dodging and burning in areas to strengthen and change the comp.

So I sat here at my desk for almost two hours listening and following her instructions, doging and burning...sometimes I snuck in some cloning to get the effect she was looking for....

And this is what she came up with.

It's been a time of great trial in my life--in business, relationships, finance, and everthing else. I took a few minutes out of my WORK to relax and remember why I'm shooting.

(I don't really mind if you critique and even encourage it, but I will take it a bit differently this time because the relationship I made with Mickey is a bit different than someone trying to create the new modern masterpiece...but go ahead and hit it if you want...)
Views: 2,294
10-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
p.s. im colorblind so i normally take much more time to fix skin tones...but not on this one.....
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mitch, your work (here and elsewhere) is splendid.
You matched the skintones just fine in this image.
It's very vibrant, quite emotive and creative in framing and choice of background.
I like that the blown highlights complement rather than distract from the image and the exposure on the couple is just right.
Very little to critique, but I guess for me it would be that they could have been a little higher in the frame but at the same horizontal position.
Good work, but I believe you already know that!
10-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a great picture. The focus, lighting, and skin tones are excellent. The background is just amazing.

10-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is awesome work. I can't think of a thing to say that would make it better.
10-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great picture. Maybe Mickey should be a consultant.
10-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, you and your new friend did a great job. I could use a couple of friends like that.

John