Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Two extreme blackandwhites - what 'ya think?
Posted By: Rense, 10-29-2009, 08:40 AM

I would like to know what you think of these two rather extreme B&W-conversions....

Views: 1,430
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok Rense, I normally don't like critiquing other peoples' work because, frankly, I don't consider myself qualified. But I've been trying some different stuff myself recently and I think I know where you're coming from. I'm an admirer of your work, btw, I always enjoy your photos.
It seems to me you're exploring two extremes with these two photos, one sharp and one soft and I like these renderings but I have a problem with each.
In the first photo I don't think the sign, the fence post and the vegetation along the fence line add to the photo. Nor do the bright white things in the doorway of the building on the right. I think this style could be very good and you're on the right track, but for it to work the composition has to be tighter.

In the second photo the hay bales that have completely blown out distract the eye. My eyes are immediately drawn to them and then there is no detail.

It could be we're so used to sharp, colorful, bright images that to go against these qualities, composition has to be really well thought out because now composition is all that's left.

I love what you're doing here because it's different and it's exploring new avenues and I am looking forward to seeing more.
10-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo contents aside, the PP has given the images a silver halide/metallic look.
Something I've not seen all that much in the digital era. Unique.

Stepping just in front of the signs in #1 with a wider angle would have taken away those distracting elements described above.
#2 does lack punch (did you reduce clarity in it?) but suits the atmosphere somewhat.
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #4

The first one has that WW2 era look to it, and I think it has come up really well.
The second one looks a bit washed out and doesn't do too much for me.

10-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me, the first one is confusing and very busy. The second one - however - is marvelous. I dig it a lot!

Jer