Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Marine Corps Marathon - Wash. D.C. (8 images)
Posted By: mel, 10-30-2009, 04:26 AM

This is the second year my husband has run this which means fun shooting ops for me. The race sells out at 30,000 runners so there's a huge crowd. No high art here, just telling a story of a fun day's shooting as well as some very inspiring runners. 26.2 miles is looooong way to go.

Warming up (it was still dark out)

This is to give you an idea of the size of this event

Some runners will dress up a bit for the race. there were a couple hotdogs, a cow, a devil, Madonna (the singer) . . .

Marines volunteer to hand out water etc, run the event and provide motivation.

Beat the Bridge: runners have to get across the final bridge by a certain time or be picked up by the straggler's bus.

Left: a wounded combat veteran (British I think) on crutches approaching mile 20. He was running with three others for support, one of whom was pushing a wheelchair. I saw him at mile 10 as well. He was still going at mile 20. My husband said he passed him after the bridge and he was in the wheelchair. Right, my husband (in red) approaching mile 20 (gotta include one of him).

Last edited by mel; 10-30-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Views: 1,987
10-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Mel! Sorry I couldn't make it down there but Rosalie sorta expects me to spend the occasional weekend at home without picking up a camera. LOL I think I see Brad in the second photo too. Just to the left of the closest yellow banner in the middle of the road next to the guy in the light blue shirt... Yeah, thats him.

Mike
10-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good stuff. I've only attended once back in 1989 and I was "volunteering" in uniform at the chip tent so I didn't actually get to see much of the race.
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shots Mel! Sorry I couldn't make it down there but Rosalie sorta expects me to spend the occasional weekend at home without picking up a camera. LOL I think I see Brad in the second photo too. Just to the left of the closest yellow banner in the middle of the road next to the guy in the light blue shirt... Yeah, thats him.

Mike
Bummer Mike. I quite enjoy being the support person at these races as I get to play the good and supportive wife of my husband's endeavors, yet selfishly shoot at the same time. Win win. It's just that he keeps trying to talk me into running too. Um. No.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Good stuff. I've only attended once back in 1989 and I was "volunteering" in uniform at the chip tent so I didn't actually get to see much of the race.
Thanks. I never had much contact with Marines (my brother was Army) before last year's marathon and I have to say, I have a world of admiration for this branch of the military. The organization, coordination, courtesy and helpfulness the group and every Marine I came across both years was impressive to say the least. Especially the organization. And it's really cool to see officers out there handing cups of water and yelling encouragement to runners.

10-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Mel.
These capture the essence of the day and tells the story well.
10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash. I'm trying to talk hubby into running a couple more of these a year because I enjoy shooting them. He's not too crazy about the idea. He thinks one a year is plenty.
10-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That 2nd-to-last photo is an important kind of shot, to me. Determination manifest, right there.

10-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
That 2nd-to-last photo is an important kind of shot, to me. Determination manifest, right there.

It really is you know. Both times this athlete/soldier passed me I got choked up. And the spectators would cheer wildly for him as he passed. They probably did the entire route. It was very moving. I have pictures of him from the 10 mile point as well. At that point there were the four of them in the group. Near the 20 mile mark there were a few more in fatigues that had joined their group. It was such an amazing thing to see.