Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It's been too long since I visited my local airports, so I went today.
Posted By: kcmadr, 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM

Flipping through Mel and MRRiley's tag team thread on planes made me yearn for my first love behind the viewfinder - aviation. So I grabbed my aviation buddy (dad), dropped my wife off for some shopping, and hit the airports!!!

First was the local airfield (Boundary Bay Regional) where I snapped the chopper coming in to land.

Then I went off to YVR (Vancouver International Airport) where I first visited the floatplanes, saw an eagle perched on the pole nearby, then went to the end of the runway for a couple more.

Very satisfying indeed. In all I took seventeen photos today. Here are eight of them (4+2+2 in three messages).

All pictures with the K20D and DA* 60-250mm. Very little editing on the first two, pretty well nothing on the rest. Just some cropping and resizing.

Last edited by kcmadr; 11-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Views: 2,197
10-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
2 More of the 8.

Here are 2 of the other 4 images.

10-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last two images.

Here are the final two I took today.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

10-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice birds. Eagle's my favourite bird of the bunch. Well done with it.

11-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm diggin that blue floatplane, I don't live near anywhere that would use or have floatplanes so they're a novelty to me.
11-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice birds. Eagle's my favourite bird of the bunch. Well done with it.

Thanks.

I was really surprised by its proximity to me - sitting up there screaming at something. I took one picture, then moved closer, took another picture, moved closer (this time it noticed me), took a third picture, and when I moved closer again, it took flight. I was ready for the flying shot, but there was no way on earth I could fit that wingspan in my frame, and by the time I zoomed out, it was gone.

Fantastic birds those - I really love them.
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #7

Wow! Great job and now I want to head out to my airport. Great capture on the eagle!

11-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
I'm diggin that blue floatplane, I don't live near anywhere that would use or have floatplanes so they're a novelty to me.
When I first arrived here (being out of school and not working) I spent quite a bit of time at Canada Place watching these planes come and go. They were an extreme novelty to me as well because I come from South Africa, and when I left, there was only one floatplane in the whole country.

QuoteOriginally posted by garysmith22 Quote
Wow! Great job and now I want to head out to my airport. Great capture on the eagle!
Thanks. The eagle capture is my best wildlife effort so far! Beautiful birds, and big too. And they make 'em even bigger in Alaska from what I've seen.
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is what I love about this forum... as a Tsawwassenite myself (and only two people on this forum can pronounce that!), I never really thought about going to boundary bay airport for some shots.... and I could just about walk there.

...of course, I'd have to invest in a better telephoto first!