Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rust Bluffs
Posted By: navcom, 11-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Took this panoramic of the bluffs behind our house yesterday just after sunrise. The original was 38 images stitched together taken with my DA 55-300 zoom hanging from my K20D all mounted on a pano head.

This years fall colors have really been frustrating. They pretty much turned from green to rust with only a couple days in between. On top of that, we've had so much rain that it's taken me three weeks to get a golden hour photo!

Anyhow, I'm happy with the contrast...rust colors, yellows and tans, and bare trees all rolled into one. Would love to hear what you think!

Views: 1,665
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

I like it. Nice job. Colors aren't bad at all. Sky is weak but all else is great. Needs some really heavy clouds in it. Like rainclouds maybe.
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I know EXACTLY what you mean!! About 4 days before there was just that...real heavy dark clouds coming in (this is facing west) and the sun was shining. It was later than golden hour but I thought what the heck...it looked cool! Got the tripod and pano head all set up and started taking my shots. At that exact moment, the winds picked up to about 35-40mph and there was no way in heck I was going to get a sharp shot on a pano head...too much movement.

This was after having to endure 3 weeks of constant rain and wind with no chance of a good shot when the leaves were at peak.

I went inside and threw some tools around just to vent my anger.
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I know EXACTLY what you mean!! About 4 days before there was just that...real heavy dark clouds coming in (this is facing west) and the sun was shining. It was later than golden hour but I thought what the heck...it looked cool! Got the tripod and pano head all set up and started taking my shots. At that exact moment, the winds picked up to about 35-40mph and there was no way in heck I was going to get a sharp shot on a pano head...too much movement.

This was after having to endure 3 weeks of constant rain and wind with no chance of a good shot when the leaves were at peak.

I went inside and threw some tools around just to vent my anger.
Actually the last part of my comment was a smart alek remark since I actually did read about the rain. I just really felt like giving you a touch of a hard time. It is a nice shot though. Just needs rain clouds. Clone them in.

11-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Actually the last part of my comment was a smart alek remark since I actually did read about the rain. I just really felt like giving you a touch of a hard time. It is a nice shot though. Just needs rain clouds. Clone them in.
I think I might try to do that. It would look cool. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow night so I can get some images of that sky and then layer 'em in.

Ah, crap! The sun will be down when I get off work. Stupid daylight savings time!

Reminds me of the quote I heard yesterday concerning daylight savings time....only the government could cut 12 inches off one end of a blanket and sew it on to the other end and say they created a longer blanket.

My photographic expeditions have been relegated to the weekends until spring. It's dark when I leave in the morning and dark when I come home. *sigh*
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The challenges of being so far from the equator...
Nice pano - same comments as above from me.
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

The challenges of being so far from the equator...
Nice pano - same comments as above from me.
Easy to say for someone heading into summer.

Thanks for the compliments!