Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Need suggestions
Posted By: Atindra, 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Here is a candid shot of my daughter "Udita", she is now 1 year old. I kinda liked the little off-focus face and focused window grills. I converted this to B&W in Lr3 and I liked the result very much-kinda dreamy look.
How can I further improve this shot? How to induce more of dreamy effect? Or is this good enough? How much appealing is it?

C&C welcome

Atindra
Views: 2,173
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, family photos should be critiqued quite differently to other portraits given their personal nature.

That said, as you like it, and the shot works for you, it's good. IMHO, with no other context to work with, she appears as if she's behind bars, not just literally. The B&W conversion is good and there is obvious separation from her and the less-illuminated background. There is no need for a 'dreamy' look in this instance, although this could have been created with a higher perspective looking down at Udita.

As for the content, Udita is OOF whereas the bars are not - it may confuse a viewer over which then is the subject. The bars simply distract me, and Udita is not making the most flattering expression she can for a photo (getting the best look, mostly smiling/laughing, is just luck of the draw). She is not looking at the camera, which quickly disengages me from looking deeper into the image. But remember, it's a family photo, and it only needs to work for you.