Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"Crooked" Grand Canyon
Posted By: ThorThum, 11-03-2009, 11:31 PM

I took this pic at the end of last winter, and just now got to PPing it. I think I like the B&W version better. Which do you prefer?

Views: 2,643
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an excellent view (were you, like, abseiling or something?).
I like the B&W rendition from the left-side of the frame with all that texture on the cliff face, but the background mountains look quite flat in this version.

The colour therefore is my pick - all the elements come together reasonably well here, but watch the oversharpening - there's some haloing in the high contrast areas on the left around the planks of wood and cliff face.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Ash; 11-03-2009 at 11:55 PM.
11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Wow! they are great. I like your B&W picture.
11-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is an excellent view (were you, like, abseiling or something?).
I like the B&W rendition from the left-side of the frame with all that texture on the cliff face, but the background mountains look quite flat in this version.

The colour therefore is my pick - all the elements come together reasonably well here, but watch the oversharpening - there's some haloing in the high contrast areas on the left around the planks of wood and cliff face.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ash. I really wanted the B&W version to work, but it seems the contrast of the canyon is a bit flat- due to the flat light of the overcast afternoon. I originally adjusted the pic for B&W, then decided to leave the settings and put the just color back in, and was mildly happy with the results. Oh, this was one of the few stone structures at the rim of the canyon by 'Desert View', the planks of wood are the celing joists sticking out of the stone wall. Thanks for looking

QuoteOriginally posted by rosier19 Quote
Wow! they are great. I like your B&W picture.
Thanks, (blush)

Wade

Last edited by ThorThum; 11-05-2009 at 08:44 AM.
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the color , spectaculr view - there appears to be a dust spot on your sensor at the time. easily to fix on pp.
11-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like the color , spectaculr view - there appears to be a dust spot on your sensor at the time. easily to fix on pp.
Thanks Dave. I guess there is a smudge in the clouds there. I couldn't tell if it was the clouds or dirt, but it's easily correctible.

Wade
11-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I prefer the colour photo.

The muted cool tones of the background contrast beautifully with the stark earth tones of the cliff face and greatly increase the perception of depth and distance.

Mickey