Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dragon Flys and other bug like creatures
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM

It was supposed to rain all day today, but luckily weathermen can never truly predict the weather and it was sunny after a two hour rain blast so I took a trip to the local park and was overwhelmed with hundred of dragonflies and bugs so i decided it was macro time and got some shots I'd love to share so here you all go!

As always C&C is welcome and I hope everyone had a beautiful sunday as well!
Views: 1,610
06-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I forgot two images that were also very good...

06-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shots. I've tried insect macros and I just don't have the patience to chase those litter buggers (pun intended) around! Love the shot of the damsel fly coming in for a landing on that white flower. Really stunning capture.

NaCl(flower macros are easier...they don't fly away)H2O
06-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
It was supposed to rain all day today, but luckily weathermen can never truly predict the weather and it was sunny after a two hour rain blast so I took a trip to the local park and was overwhelmed with hundred of dragonflies and bugs so i decided it was macro time and got some shots I'd love to share so here you all go!

As always C&C is welcome and I hope everyone had a beautiful sunday as well!
Really like #3 composition, what lens/fstop were you using for it? Tia.

06-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chris, this is a very, very nice set of macros. You did have a good Sunday, thanks for sharing.

Take care, Heinrich
06-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Excellent shots. I've tried insect macros and I just don't have the patience to chase those litter buggers (pun intended) around! Love the shot of the damsel fly coming in for a landing on that white flower. Really stunning capture.

NaCl(flower macros are easier...they don't fly away)H2O
Thanks salty and I too do a lot of flower photography (you can always check out my flowers at my flickr account). It really wasn't too bad catching these guys taking a break, basically I follow one with my eye and when they land I creep up and if it flies away I try again and again until he gets too tired to fly off and I snap off about 10 rounds with the guy at different apertures and compositions. I think I ended up with 200+ dragonfly pictures most of ok quality and about 10 with excellent quality so I'm happy with the results and will be doing this again in my pond as we have about 200 larvae swimming around in the pond this year so emerging dragonflies will mot likely be my next photo series. Thank you again Salty and do give the bug work a try, it can be as much fun as it is frustrating.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar:
Really like #3 composition, what lens/fstop were you using for it? Tia.
Thank you Tia and it was f8 on that shot. The Sigma 105mm macro is sharpest between f4 and f11 so I tend to shoot in that range most of the time when light is decent enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann:
Chris, this is a very, very nice set of macros. You did have a good Sunday, thanks for sharing.

Take care, Heinrich
Thank you Heinrich and coming from you I'm a little blush because you have such excellent macro work yourself that I couldn't imagine being anywhere near your quality any time soon so it means a lot when you applaud others work. I think I may go out for another round today to make myself feel good again lol.
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really terrific (and tough) macro work. Love most of these. I am intrigued by the "helicopter" hovering for a landing over the white flower
at a dramatic angle of attack, Thanks , Freddy

06-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Freddy and that particular shot I didn't know I had until I got home to process everything and bam I had the whole dragonfly in flight shot... my next step is to strap on an extension tube to my sigma 105 and try again cause the wrking distance doubles and it's a 210mm 5.6! set the puppy to f4 and iso 400 and I should be rocking out some super macro shots!