Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightning Strike (not a great photo)
Posted By: palmor, 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM

My wife and I where out on Plumb Island (in Newburyport MA for those of you who know the area) yesterday when a huge T-storm came through. We where starting to drive out of it and we pulled over to watch some of the lightning and I managed to get one shot of a lightning strike. It was probably one of the worst T-storms I've seen in terms of amount of lightning.

We got to the other end of the Wildlife Refuge just on the edge of the storm and sat and watched it for a few minutes when one of the park rangers drove up and rolled down his window to let us know that they had issued a tornado warning, which is really rare for the NE US. As soon as we heard that we headed home

Anyway here is the shot, nothing great but I thought I was lucky to get anything by just trying to time it out the car window. I pre-focused and guessed at the exposure... so some parts came out pretty underexposed and noisy.

Oh, this was taken around 7pm or so it should be really bright out.. it was incredibly dark.

Views: 1,592
06-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This works for me.

I like the fact that the silky trail of the lightening draws my attention to the end of the road.

A front cover for a Stephen King's latest novel ...

Cheers
James
06-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with James, I think its a pretty darned good capture. I've never had any luck trying to capture lightning. I love how it hits just off the end of the road.

NaCl(maybe not perfect but very good none the less)H2O
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all! Its one of those "not the greatest technically" but kind of cool anyway

Thanks
John

06-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Considering that I have no clue how anyone captures lightning with a photograph, I think it's a dandy shot!
06-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right Place right time - a wonderfull caprture. On Saturday I was driving by a refinery and suddenly I saw flames ! I had the camera in the car but was too scared to stop and grap a few shots for fear of something exploding !! (there was considerable damage but no explosions thank gawd)...
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a good photo - and so crisp of a line, rather than some of the typical washed out bolts you see from longer time exposures. I have exactly one good lightning photograph: every other time I had the opportunity I didn't feel safe standing out in the open with my arm and head attached to a metal tripod.