Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first pics with a DSLR, K100D
Posted By: rkf76, 06-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Here's my first tries with my new toy. All I have is the kit lens, would like to get something stronger sometime soon. Suggestions are welcome.

* File size: 154279 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 10:38:51
* Camera make: PENTAX Corporation
* Camera model: PENTAX K100D
* Date/Time: 2006:01:01 00:16:43
* Resolution: 800 x 533
* Flash used: No
* Focal length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
* Exposure time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
* Aperture: f/9.5
* ISO equiv.: 200
* Whitebalance: Auto
* Metering Mode: matrix
* Exposure: program (auto)

With this pic, I know the composition is horrendous but I was just trying to see if I could get the subject focused and have the background blurry, I love those kind of pics. What's the subject? The handlebars.

* File size: 153155 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 10:39:08
* Date/Time: 2006:01:01 00:21:10
* Exposure time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
* Aperture: f/9.5

This one I was just trying to take a close up to see how crisp and detailed the pic would be.

* File size: 281806 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 10:40:55
* Date/Time: 2007:06:02 19:39:29
* Focal length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
* Exposure time: 0.033 s (1/30)
* Aperture: f/3.5
* ISO equiv.: 400
* Exposure bias: 1.00
* Whitebalance: Manual
* Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

This one I just wanted to capture the widest shot possible

* File size: 301100 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 10:41:28
* Date/Time: 2007:06:02 19:15:11
* Exposure time: 0.067 s (1/15)
* Aperture: f/5.6
* Exposure bias: 1.00

This is with the camera zoomed in all the way. I have a feeling had I made a few changes that I could have gotten the pic to come out cleaner, but i'm a noob so I have no clue what settings to mess with.

* File size: 269541 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 10:42:30
* Date/Time: 2007:06:02 19:30:00
* Exposure time: 0.022 s (1/45)
* Exposure bias: 0.50

This is probably the cleanest action shot I took of the night, most of the others were blurred to some degree.

* File size: 134683 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 21:43:25
* Date/Time: 2007:06:02 22:42:12
* Flash used: Yes (manual)
* Focal length: 33.0mm (35mm equivalent: 49mm)
* Aperture: f/4.0
* Exposure bias: 2.00
* Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

My 69 Chevelle SS, just because

* File size: 184470 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 21:43:51
* Date/Time: 2007:06:03 14:56:11
* Focal length: 31.0mm (35mm equivalent: 46mm)
* Exposure time: 0.0003 s (1/3000)
* Exposure: Action program (based towards fast shutter speed)

My son, shooting the ball, and little cousin playing basketball today

* File size: 151754 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 21:44:10
* Date/Time: 2007:06:03 15:21:13
* Aperture: f/8.0

My first flower picture, I think it came out pretty good.

* File size: 202634 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 21:44:37
* Date/Time: 2007:06:03 14:51:23
* Exposure time: 0.0007 s (1/1500)
* Aperture: f/8.0

My little cousin doing his best Michael Jordan impersonation. I think this was my favorite action shot of the day.

* File size: 166959 bytes
* File date: 2007:06:03 21:44:59
* Date/Time: 2007:06:03 15:02:03
* Focal length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
* Exposure time: 0.0003 s (1/3000)

And lastly, my son schooling his cousin on the court.

So what do you guys see? Any tips and techniques or ideas for me to keep in mind when shooting? What about low light situations like at the basketball game, how can I improve on those shots?
Views: 2,095
06-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Anybody? Almost 40 views but no replies yet
06-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I probably can't help you much photographically, but perhaps by bumping it up someone else will notice!

I like the shots of your son and cousin playing basketball - there's a more intimate feel than the big game shot from the stands. You've got pretty good timing, I particularly like the "Michael Jordan" shot!

As for tips and techniques, I'd say practice, practice, practice. Look at pictures that you like, and try to figure out whyyou like them. Then try to apply that in your own pictures. I don't mean copy exactly what someone else does, but the general principles. For instance, I've figured out that I generally like really simple images, where the subject fills the frame and there are few distracting elements. I've been trying to remember that when I'm composing my own pictures. Actually, the car model is a nice example of that - nothing really wrong with the picture (well, the onboard flash is a little harsh, but there's nothing you can do about that other than find a bright window or spend a lot of money you might rather not spend!) but the stuff in the background is distracting. If you had a less cluttered background, or at least a more distant and thus more out-of-focus background, it'd be better. Experiment - you're not paying for film, so mess around and have fun!

Julie
06-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #4

I see you changed the date on the camera and have been playing with Program mode and action mode. You have also tried a manual white balence I see. The best thing you can do right now is to play, play and play. Like Jule says, digital is free (now that you have already spent the money!). So, try different things. For something like the first on, a spot meter setting might make the bike appear more exposed, while making the background be different.

Another thing to do, in general, is to look at your favorite magazines and see what sort of pictures draw your eye. Is it a basketball player, flying through the air, shot from down low? Is is a flower with some dew on the leaves in the morning sun? Whatever you like, is what you should practice and shoot. That gives you some frame of reference on if it is good (to your eye) or not. At the end of the day, it matters very little of we like it on the forum. If you like the shots, that is what matters.

I am sure you could take one of those shots of your son and nephew, straighten is a little, crop it with a vertical crop to shot just the two boys and the basket, print it on a 4x6 or 5x7 and there will be years of stories about how he schooled him that day and there is picture proof of it.

Have fun.

Jeff

06-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I probably can't help you much photographically, but perhaps by bumping it up someone else will notice!

I like the shots of your son and cousin playing basketball - there's a more intimate feel than the big game shot from the stands. You've got pretty good timing, I particularly like the "Michael Jordan" shot!

As for tips and techniques, I'd say practice, practice, practice. Look at pictures that you like, and try to figure out whyyou like them. Then try to apply that in your own pictures. I don't mean copy exactly what someone else does, but the general principles. For instance, I've figured out that I generally like really simple images, where the subject fills the frame and there are few distracting elements. I've been trying to remember that when I'm composing my own pictures. Actually, the car model is a nice example of that - nothing really wrong with the picture (well, the onboard flash is a little harsh, but there's nothing you can do about that other than find a bright window or spend a lot of money you might rather not spend!) but the stuff in the background is distracting. If you had a less cluttered background, or at least a more distant and thus more out-of-focus background, it'd be better. Experiment - you're not paying for film, so mess around and have fun!

Julie
Well thank you for the compliment and suggestions, I will definitely keep practicing. That's the one thing I can afford

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
I see you changed the date on the camera and have been playing with Program mode and action mode. You have also tried a manual white balence I see. The best thing you can do right now is to play, play and play. Like Jule says, digital is free (now that you have already spent the money!). So, try different things. For something like the first on, a spot meter setting might make the bike appear more exposed, while making the background be different.

Another thing to do, in general, is to look at your favorite magazines and see what sort of pictures draw your eye. Is it a basketball player, flying through the air, shot from down low? Is is a flower with some dew on the leaves in the morning sun? Whatever you like, is what you should practice and shoot. That gives you some frame of reference on if it is good (to your eye) or not. At the end of the day, it matters very little of we like it on the forum. If you like the shots, that is what matters.

I am sure you could take one of those shots of your son and nephew, straighten is a little, crop it with a vertical crop to shot just the two boys and the basket, print it on a 4x6 or 5x7 and there will be years of stories about how he schooled him that day and there is picture proof of it.

Have fun.

Jeff
Yeah, I guess when I first set the date/time, I did something wrong cause it didn't take, so I fixed it. I really wish I had tried different modes at the game, I think I could have gotten some better pics. This is really fun, and I love how the camera is so forgiving....making pics from a rookie like me look pretty good. But at the same time, it's very finicky too. I'll get it figured out, but any suggestions on settings for indoor, low/mid light shooting would be appreciated. I'd like to get some decent pics of the basketball games we go to in the future.
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

great pics for a beginner

for indoor sports you'll want fast glass, f2.8 or wider. unfortunately the price goes up with the speed, but what can you do. you'd probably appreciate the sigma 70-200 f2.8. to freeze the action well you'll want around 1/250 to 1/500 shutter speeds. faster is always nicer, but sometimes it's not possible.

for outdoor sports, i prefer wide angles but that isn't always an option.

my best advice would be to plan out 1 or 2 good lenses and learn with the kit. you're definitely on your to taking fantastic pictures.

always shoot raw, unless you're out of space on your memory card. the work flow might seem frustrating at first, but the results are worth the frustration
06-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the best piece of advice you've already gotten. Back when I was a professional musician my mentor would always tell me "musicians play" same thing with any craft, the more you practice it the better you get. Jeff's advice on finding what you like to shoot is a good idea too. In the beginning everything is new, but after a while it will get harder to find inspiration (happens to almost all of us) so if there is something you really like to shoot, it's easier to get over that particular hump. On the first shot with the bicycle handles, you will need to narrow down your aperture as much as you can, go to "AV" mode and use the thumbwheel while looking thru the view finder you will see the f stop number change, get it to it's lowest setting and you will see a bit narrower depth of field (the area in focus). Unfortunately the 18-55 doesn't have a very narrow aperture, so the other trick is to get as close to the handle bars as possible, to where they almost fill the frame. Distance to subject also narrows depth of field. One nice thing about digital is that you have all the info of the shot available. So you can see exactly what you did. Which helps you when you try something similar in the future.

NaCl(Julie said it best...the idea is to have fun!)H2O

06-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

lower fstop means larger aperture.