Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First attempt at Fireworks
Posted By: stormcloud, 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Well with a big fireworks display going on for 5th of November, I just couldn't let the opertunity go and though I would take my camera an a tripod along and see what i could capture.

so that i didn't miss enjoying the display i pretty much set the camera up on the tripod set it to manual dialed in an aperture of F8 - shutter speed of about 4 seconds - set the focus to infinity and got out the wireless remote and pushed the button whenever i thought something interesting was going to happen

i did play with the aperture and shutter speed from time to time to experiment and if only i had noticed where i had chosen to setup my camera there was infact some electricity cables over head would have been perfect - but alas i didn't see them in the dark but thankfully they dont impact the images to much

uploaded them to a set on flickr hopefully should be able to see them there if not let me know and will try posting direct links to the indivual images

anyway enjoy!

Fireworks - a set on Flickr
Views: 1,497
11-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice.
You got them OK. Fireworks without a backdrop/scene gives little sense of scale - that's the only issue for me.

I like this one:
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
yeah i can see that but how would you go about getting the background into the images without either blowing out the fireworks themselves or leaving teh shutter open for so long that one photo had half the display all in it?

in a city could probably find something with some lights in the background but it was pitch black on a golf course except for the bonfire and the fireworks - and the fire would have been far to bright on an exposure length suitable for nice firework trails
11-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Graet shot. The one Ash posted look like starfish in the ocean.