Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photo shoot with Mindee
Posted By: hamidlmt, 06-04-2007, 01:10 AM

Mindee and I went out to the Sandy River today. It was warm and humid; we had a hard time finding isolated spots... Oregonians flock to the local watering holes when it gets anywhere above 80 degrees.

I used the K10D with the FA 31mm 1.8 Limited. I took out the FA 50mm 1.4 for perhaps 5 minutes. Only 4 shots from the 50mm made my cut. The 50 just felt too far away, though I always love the results. My photography theme has been a quote from Robert Capa... "If your photographs aren't good enough you aren't close enough."

You can see the entire series here: Hamid Shibata Bennett's photos - powered by SmugMug

And, yup... I got in the water too!

Here's a few of my favs...

From the FA 50mm 1.4

From the FA 31mm 1.8

Views: 2,452
06-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I always envy your prortait work - natural and sensual.

She is definitely different. Your photo treatment of skin complexion is definitely an art of its own. I really like them.

p.s. I wonder how you convince the girl to dip into the water, lying in a lateral position for you to take a shot... That takes a bit of skill for convincing

Cheers

James
06-04-2007, 04:13 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Great photo shoot -
something I don't have any experience with but I can surely appreciate it
Ronny
06-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spy with my little eye...

...a candidate for laser tattoo removal.

It strangely makes my favorites the ones where you can't see her breast.

06-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I always envy your prortait work - natural and sensual.

She is definitely different. Your photo treatment of skin complexion is definitely an art of its own. I really like them.

p.s. I wonder how you convince the girl to dip into the water, lying in a lateral position for you to take a shot... That takes a bit of skill for convincing

Cheers

James
Thanks James! lesse... how to get girls in the water... LOL! I tell them in advance we're going to some water feature and that I'll bring lots of towels. I kinda gauge how excited they are about it. Yesterday, it was so warm that we were both very willing to get into the water! Cooled us right down after hiking around in the sand.

As for the photo treatment.... here's my trick... I start off snapping the pic in .jpg using natural setting (-1 saturation, +2 sharpness and either 0 or -1 contrast). I usually meter the eyes and let the highlights/background blow out if it needs to. Generally, the only post-processing I do is an adjustment in levels. While holding down the option key (on a Mac), I adjust the left slide until the eyes just begin to show up, then back it down a hair. Then, I adjust the right slider (with the option key) until the skin shows just a bit of red or until some highlights start to blow out, then I back it back down just a bit. It gives it just a little more pop but keeps it pretty natural and film-like, imho.

That's it!

QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Great photo shoot -
something I don't have any experience with but I can surely appreciate it
Ronny
Thanks Ronny! It's a realm of photography I'm still trying to get comfortable with and gain confidence. I always have a lot of fun!
06-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
...a candidate for laser tattoo removal.

It strangely makes my favorites the ones where you can't see her breast.
I understand your point of view... but, I wonder if you'd say something similar if she had a scar from a surgery or accident. Some choose their wounds. I found this young lass to be quite open and honest with her imperfections.... such couragous qualities are rare in my limited experience.
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
but, I wonder if you'd say something similar if she had a scar from a surgery or accident.
No, because they are completely different things.

I also don't care that she doesn't look like a leggy, 6-foot runway model.

IMO this tattoo (not all tattoos) is unattractive.

06-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, because they are completely different things.

I also don't care that she doesn't look like a leggy, 6-foot runway model.

IMO this tattoo (not all tattoos) is unattractive.
Well, it's not a choice I'd make either. It's not exactly a masterful work of art, but it has depth of meaning for her. So, I'll respect it at that level.

It's so easy to judge another as less. I am reminded of a saying by Buddha... "See yourself in others... then, what harm can you do?"

btw... carpents..... I like your pbase galleries... some nice compositions in there.

Last edited by hamidlmt; 06-04-2007 at 12:37 PM.
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, it's not a choice I'd make either. It's not exactly a masterful work of art, but it has depth of meaning for her. So, I'll respect it at that level.
LOL, she's too young to have depth!

I'm reminded of a very good book - 'The Catcher In The Rye' - which is really quite funny to someone who has been through that time in life and can reflect back and laugh. Those who take it too seriously (sadly perhaps even the author himself) aren't getting IMO the whole point of the book.
I'm sure some day she'll think about her tattoo and realize that (a) there might have been a better way to honor its meaning or (b) the meaning itself wasn't as important as she once thought. We all have been there, done that, and thankfully for the most part are able to laugh about it now.
I'm just glad I never permanently inked any of my 'meaningful' moments! LOL!

btw... carpents..... I like your pbase galleries... some nice compositions in there.
That's very nice, thank you.
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #10

I think that Mindee makes a terrific model. Why? because even though I wouldn't choose the piercings or the tattoo for myself, she has made the choice to be her own person. The world doesn't need anymore Britney / Paris / (fill in the blank) wannabes. She is so obviously comfortable with who she is.

BTW, #4 and #6 are my faves.

Chris
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL, she's too young to have depth!
I've met children as wise as saints and old men as foolish as the village idiot. Age has little to do with authenticity.
06-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is nice, I like!

Chenquieh!
06-05-2007, 01:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the effort to explain how you post process the shot. I did not realise how simple it is just by tuning level adjustment to get the effect desired.

I often played around with too much layers and getting the unwanted effect, losing the natural light in the shots.

06-05-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
I think that Mindee makes a terrific model. Why? because even though I wouldn't choose the piercings or the tattoo for myself, she has made the choice to be her own person. The world doesn't need anymore Britney / Paris / (fill in the blank) wannabes. She is so obviously comfortable with who she is.

BTW, #4 and #6 are my faves.

Chris
Well, she's certainly an original spirit! Looking forward to working with her once more before she moves up to Alaska.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Is nice, I like!

Chenquieh!
Thanks! Now then... what does chenquieh mean?!

Last edited by hamidlmt; 06-05-2007 at 02:25 AM.
06-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Thanks for the effort to explain how you post process the shot. I did not realise how simple it is just by tuning level adjustment to get the effect desired.

I often played around with too much layers and getting the unwanted effect, losing the natural light in the shots.

It really is pretty easy. I learned the trick from the Light Source podcast on an interview with Kirk Vocalin, a senior portrait photographer. Now that was a fun interview! He talks about some very, very easy tips on working with natural light. It's really worth an hour out of your day to listen to it, if you like natural light portraits.

LightSource Photography Podcast E028 - Kirk Voclain » StudioLighting.net

You can also find it on iTunes.