Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
a leaf, a spider, a nose
Posted By: flippedgazelle, 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM

"The Heart of Autumn"... which of the 2 is better?

This little orchard spider has been on one of my job sites since July. Taken with the Raynox DCR-150 & DA L 50-200

and a nose...

C&C always appreciated...
Views: 3,257
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having trouble deciding between the first two versions, as the shot itself is so crisp and beautifully textured. I'm tending towards the first because of the added contrast the blue background provides against the bronze leaf. But they're both very good!

The Raynox seems to bring the best out of lenses, and the spider capture shows this well. A little shallow on the DoF, but otherwise well done.
11-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the one with blue water as it reminds of a sunny but cool fall day befitting the one last leaf hanging on not giving into the next season.

I like the spider and having recently acquired the raynox 150 but not having had time use it much, I look forward to getting close to your excellent results.
11-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Macro spider pic is awesome!

11-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I really like your shots. Of the the first two I would have to go with the second since the lighting looks more natural to me than the first which seems very rich and as if the leaf and setting were shot in different environments.

As a Raynox-150 owner I can appreciate the spidey shot and in particular he difficulty in getting the same kind of dof you might with a stopped down dedicated macro lens. Focused on the body and getting whatever legs happened to be in the focal plan was the right way. Having the 2 vertical legs in sharp focus makes it. Missing some of the other legs for lack of f64 on your lens is something we can just get over. Lot more color and pattern to that spider than our usual brown subject. Great one to keep an eye on.

I like the "nose" even if I would never have know to compose it myself. Its interesting.
11-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i like the crispness of the leaf... a little tighter crop might be nice... that raynox is amazing... just got mine... love the horse... by a nose....
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Having trouble deciding between the first two versions, as the shot itself is so crisp and beautifully textured. I'm tending towards the first because of the added contrast the blue background provides against the bronze leaf. But they're both very good!

The Raynox seems to bring the best out of lenses, and the spider capture shows this well. A little shallow on the DoF, but otherwise well done.
Thanks, Ash.

Yeah, I ran out of DOF at f/29... The sensible thing would have been to back of the focal length, but sometimes I'm just too stubborn!

11-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IowaBoy Quote
I prefer the one with blue water as it reminds of a sunny but cool fall day befitting the one last leaf hanging on not giving into the next season.

I like the spider and having recently acquired the raynox 150 but not having had time use it much, I look forward to getting close to your excellent results.
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Macro spider pic is awesome!
Thanks, guys - I appreciate your kindness.

IowaBoy, I'm sure you'll have fun with the Raynox. Just a little practice and I'm sure you'll do great.
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I really like your shots. Of the the first two I would have to go with the second since the lighting looks more natural to me than the first which seems very rich and as if the leaf and setting were shot in different environments.

As a Raynox-150 owner I can appreciate the spidey shot and in particular he difficulty in getting the same kind of dof you might with a stopped down dedicated macro lens. Focused on the body and getting whatever legs happened to be in the focal plan was the right way. Having the 2 vertical legs in sharp focus makes it. Missing some of the other legs for lack of f64 on your lens is something we can just get over. Lot more color and pattern to that spider than our usual brown subject. Great one to keep an eye on.

I like the "nose" even if I would never have know to compose it myself. Its interesting.
She's really the most colorful spider I've ever seen in person. I must have a couple dozen pics of her. Thanks for the input on the "heart of autumn" shots. The shape of the leaf really struck me, but I was unable to come up with a perspective that totally pleased me.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i like the crispness of the leaf... a little tighter crop might be nice... that raynox is amazing... just got mine... love the horse... by a nose....
Thanks! I hope you have as much fun with your new Raynox as I do with my old one.
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The first shot is so simple yet so amazing. It's like one of those painting at the auction that's going for an extreme price. You wonder why other people are raising their hands for it and you still end up buying it at the end.
11-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The colours on that spider are mad. It looks like a childs artwork, made with felt tip pens, amazin'.
11-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing looking spider, for sure.
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
The first shot is so simple yet so amazing. It's like one of those painting at the auction that's going for an extreme price. You wonder why other people are raising their hands for it and you still end up buying it at the end.
Thanks, I'm feeling now.
11-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
The colours on that spider are mad. It looks like a childs artwork, made with felt tip pens, amazin'.
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Amazing looking spider, for sure.
Yeah, it really is a remarkable looking spider. The 1st few shots I did of her, I kept thinking I some screwed up the processing - the vibrancy of the colors and the abrupt conjunction of color just didn't seem "right"... yet it is!
11-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I think you did a terrific job with every one of those shots. I am probably most drawn to the first shot but I would be proud to have made any of them. Great work.