Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Reflecting Pond
Posted By: graphicgr8s, 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Not a real good shot but I am playing with night time scenes. Only light out last night was the building. It was dark for sure.

The second shot is with a Tamron 100-300. It's a bit sharper, But then again I don't have my spectacles on. And as with most shots I put up here little to no PP done to it.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-30-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Views: 1,872
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always like the use of foreground to frame the subject in opportunities like this.
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

Thanks. Just seems to me that it's soft and that is bothering me. Of course it was taken with a 28-80mm and I wasn't close at all. I think Sunday I am going to do it again with a 300mm prime and see if I like it any better.
11-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Thanks. Just seems to me that it's soft and that is bothering me. Of course it was taken with a 28-80mm and I wasn't close at all. I think Sunday I am going to do it again with a 300mm prime and see if I like it any better.
Well, yeah, but at least now you've scoped the area and have an idea of what you want to accomplish.

I hope you'll post the "new and improved" shot.

11-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Well, yeah, but at least now you've scoped the area and have an idea of what you want to accomplish.

I hope you'll post the "new and improved" shot.
Heck I've seen/scoped this area for over 20 years. I pick my wife up at work and it's 200 feet away. It's a lake behind a "retirement" village. That building part is of the village. Might try a 7pm shot instead of 10 pm. Something with a little daylight left to bring out the lake. Or a moonlit night instead of pitch black. Trees were lit because of the shopping mall lights. But they shade the lake.
The shot I want is in my mind. I know full well how to get it in film. Same trouble I have with typesetting. Hot type I saw something and made it happen. Computer typesetting takes a lot more work to get my vision into print. And I know my programs inside and out and even tutor but it just is never exactly what I want so I generally have learned to compromise.

After 2 years of really not taking many pictures at all, not even paid work I am starting to get back into it seriously. Seem to be a little rusty on certain types of photography lately. Weddings and events and product photography I still do well at. It's the landscapes and portraits and that sort that I just haven't done much of and am trying to broaden my horizons. Yeah, even an old "seasoned" pro can learn new stuff. New areas.
11-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some old dogs can learn new tricks, eh.

Yeah, it's soft and could do with a cropped perspective, but it'd have the elements to make a nice landscape.
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

OK tonight's shot has been added

11-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
OK tonight's shot has been added
You do better w/o your specs than I'd do w/o mine.

I think the pic needs to be rotated maybe 2 deg counter-clockwise.

I like the composition of the 1st shot better - it tells a little story (looking at a building thru the brush at night) vs just a shot of a building.

Just my (devalued) $.02.
11-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
You do better w/o your specs than I'd do w/o mine.

I think the pic needs to be rotated maybe 2 deg counter-clockwise.

I like the composition of the 1st shot better - it tells a little story (looking at a building thru the brush at night) vs just a shot of a building.

Just my (devalued) $.02.
I like right leaning things. Like I said, no PP at all. Manual focus without glasses. I like the first also but that 100mm was just a touch too long. And the first lens was too bloody soft for my liking. The Tamron I knew beforehand was sharp. A while back I bought a bunch of lenses and I am just getting around to playing with them. I've got about 18 M42 Tacs I can't wait to use.

I wonder if that 28-80 would focus sharper in daylight. With specs.