Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
rejected from ppg
Posted By: cwood, 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I was a little surprised to see this one get rejected. I've usually got a pretty good feel for what will get in... I thought I'd try get one up that I had taken with K-7

Personally I like the colors, the natural vignette, the rim light on the rider and the framing. Even the lens flare works for me in this shot.

On top of that it has a unique aspect to it that is missing from a lot of ppg shots... I've seen a lot of squirrels, dogs, flowers etc on ppg but not much that looks like this.

c'est la vie

Views: 1,710
11-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

All due respect, it is not a very interesting shot. The flare and dust are a little distracting. Of course thats only my opinion.
11-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course it does have potential, but as is I'd agree with mtroute.
Contrast and colour are lacking somewhat too.
11-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Always fascinating to to hear others take on an image - thanks for sharing

11-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this blows a great deal of images I see on PPG lately out of the water.

I like the shot, but its not "incredible" as I believe PPG images should be. I think they have gone slack lately on their voting and allowing a lot of images IMO dont deserve to be accepted.

just my 2 cents
11-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no offence, you really thought this photo was PPG material?

i just checked your website/galleries and you have much much better photos that you could have submitted.
11-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
no offence, you really thought this photo was PPG material?

i just checked your website/galleries and you have much much better photos that you could have submitted.
ha - no offence taken.

its all in the eye of the beholder. I've taken more exciting and more dramatic shots - but this is one that I would call more inspirational. In other words when I see this shot I want to get out and ride. Some other riders I know felt the same way about the shot. I think if you can't relate to the shot (as a rider) then it must look pretty boring. There's a term in MTB called "flow riding" - any mountain bike movie will usually have a segment dedicated to that type of riding and this shot shows that style of riding

This is exactly why I posted the shot here - to see how others saw it. The reaction does not change how I feel about the photo but its always useful to understand the reaction of others to an image.

11-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I think this blows a great deal

on top of what has been said already I think the blown out section of the trail is a bit distracting. you do have some good work in your links. I guess this pic would be appealing if youre into watching some dude ride off into the sunset on a mountain bike. I think the pic would be better if you caught the front side of the rider as he approached you.
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
ha - no offence taken.

its all in the eye of the beholder. I've taken more exciting and more dramatic shots - but this is one that I would call more inspirational. In other words when I see this shot I want to get out and ride. Some other riders I know felt the same way about the shot. I think if you can't relate to the shot (as a rider) then it must look pretty boring. There's a term in MTB called "flow riding" - any mountain bike movie will usually have a segment dedicated to that type of riding and this shot shows that style of riding

This is exactly why I posted the shot here - to see how others saw it. The reaction does not change how I feel about the photo but its always useful to understand the reaction of others to an image.
I think you and you're other riding friends are getting caught up in the perceived moment, it's easily done, you all have a vested interest in the shot, you especially, I suspect you're remembering what you saw in your minds eye before you took the shot.
I'm not really seeing a single compositional element in it, it's quite flat colourwise, the lighting is all over the place and you have blown highlights.
I know where you're coming from, we've all been blinded by one of our own images and gobsmacked by what other people see in it.