Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My macro evolution: a series
Posted By: EdMaximus, 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM

I posted a few macro shots here yesterday and I got some great feedback. I figure I would start a thread here where I put all my macro shots that I post on my website as individual post. That way, I can get some more feedback on what I'm doing wrong and right. So please Comments and Criticisms are extremely welcomed.

First Pic: Walking Sticks (Phasmatodea)
Info: handheld, f9, iso 800
It's two of them doing the nasty. It was a pain trying to get both of them completely in focus. This is the closest I got. My tripod is too heavy to lug around that's why I didn't pull it out. By the way, does anyone know the specific name of these walking sticks. I'm not sure they are Indian.

Views: 2,689
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Help me ID this giant bastard

Here's a shot of a giant spider that I took while doing a little nature walk with a friend. She spotted that sucker a mile away and I was surprised that she wasn't scared to approach it. I guess not every girl hate spider. I see a million way that I could have gotten a better shot of the spider. I definitely had too large of aperture (f5). It was also handheld. Thus the crappy focus. I decided to go for the spider's bottom instead of the top and head because it was more interesting to me with the web weaving and the leaf. Comments and Critics are welcomed .

Golden Silk Spider
Info: handheld, f5, iso200

Last edited by EdMaximus; 11-09-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: ID found
11-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't thnk you will be able to get all the whole frame in sharp focus even when stopping down. Dof is too thin. you may want to stitch few images together.

That position does not give you many options to move your camera an ideal position to capture the image. Good try anyway.

marcus
11-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Don't thnk you will be able to get all the whole frame in sharp focus even when stopping down. Dof is too thin. you may want to stitch few images together.

That position does not give you many options to move your camera an ideal position to capture the image. Good try anyway.

marcus
I definitely forgot about stitching. I'm going there again next weekend. Let's hope that I find them on the same leaf doing the same thing. I'll bring my flash and monopod ready to shoot.

11-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Florida spiders give me the long-distance willies! Nice work. Stitching is an interesting idea but you'd need a tripod for that--right?
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Florida spiders give me the long-distance willies! Nice work. Stitching is an interesting idea but you'd need a tripod for that--right?
Yeah they are pretty huge and colorful but most of them won't hurt you worse than a bee. I think he meant stacking. That's what I see some pro use. it's ideal to get the shots for stacking using a tripod but it can get done with some firm hands.
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
Yeah they are pretty huge and colorful but most of them won't hurt you worse than a bee. I think he meant stacking. That's what I see some pro use. it's ideal to get the shots for stacking using a tripod but it can get done with some firm hands.
Gotcha--thanks for the clarification. I remember seeing major, well-populated, spiderwebs in a Florida orange grove when I was a kid: it made an impression on me.

11-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grasshopper

Nothing great again. Just another shot where I caught bugs gone wild.

Linearwinged grasshopper
Info: f8, 1/160, 800