Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A day to wander in Seattle
Posted By: alinla, 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

I was up in Seattle on business last week. I managed to escape for a few hours to
wander the city and see the sights. The first 12 photos in the link below are from Seattle.

Most Recent Photos Photo Gallery by alinla at pbase.com

Feel free to C&C in the comments area on my site.

I love shooting the tourist traps & all the cliches photos. I spent some time at the Folklife festival in the park. Everyone was really friendly. I wish I would have had more time (as always) but by the end I was exhausted and my mind was trying to picture what my hotel bed looked like.

I'd love to spend more time in the city. Downtown was a great place spend time. I suppose I left lots to see & do for next time.

al
Views: 2,576
06-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Good to see you posting here Al, have always enjoyed your work. Like everyone else I really like the fountain, excellent use of the fisheye. When everybody likes the same shot you know it's good! The other one I really liked was the evening (early morning?) shot of the space needle and the mountain in the background, excellent postcard shot.

NaCl(hope to see more of your work here, and hope that you're not so busy in the future)H2O

Thanks NaClH2O (that name is begging for an explanation).

The fountain shot was actually done with the infamous Sigma 10-20 UWA. I'm pretty sure I had the Grad ND filter on it too. I was pretty fortunate to have the little girl run right at me; really made the shot. One of those right place/right time things.

The other photo was done during the blue hour after sunset. I waited like forever for that photo. The sun sets very late in Seattle and they wait even longer to turn on the building lights downtown. Apparently Seattle city officials aren't landscape photographers. If you're ever in Seattle and find yourself at Kerry Park, pack a good book and warm sweater =)

06-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
All great shots. Glad to you shared them with us. I really like the night scenes with the blonde women. Could you share how you shot them?
Sean pretty much nailed it except it wasn't rear sync.

Single Sigma EF500 fired via PW, set up manually to about 1/4 power at 85mm if I remember right. 2 or 3 test shots to get the aperture dialed in and then just drag the shutter to expose the Long Beach harbor around the Queen Mary. I wish I would have remembered a warming gel for the flash but it came out pretty well without it.

You can learn all about the technique at the Strobist.com.
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series, Al! I like all of them.

Thanks for sharing your pics!