Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A day to wander in Seattle
Posted By: alinla, 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

I was up in Seattle on business last week. I managed to escape for a few hours to
wander the city and see the sights. The first 12 photos in the link below are from Seattle.

Most Recent Photos Photo Gallery by alinla at pbase.com

Feel free to C&C in the comments area on my site.

I love shooting the tourist traps & all the cliches photos. I spent some time at the Folklife festival in the park. Everyone was really friendly. I wish I would have had more time (as always) but by the end I was exhausted and my mind was trying to picture what my hotel bed looked like.

I'd love to spend more time in the city. Downtown was a great place spend time. I suppose I left lots to see & do for next time.

al
Views: 2,574
06-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some nice shots there - Starbucks and the Space Needle now that is a poster shot for Seattle - I like the night shot of the skyline the best , and the kids playing in the fountain.
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #3

Very nice photographs, Al! Tourist photographs that are products of a keen mind for photography.

The shot of the kids playing under the fountain is fantastic in every aspect. I also like 4404 with the Starbucks sign and the Space Needle... very Seattle to most people (much to the chagrin of the locals, I'm sure!)

Nicely done!

Nikhil
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Some nice shots there - Starbucks and the Space Needle now that is a poster shot for Seattle - I like the night shot of the skyline the best , and the kids playing in the fountain.
Thanks. Obviously when you only have a single day to shoot, you don't the best light or opportunities to shoot everything. But the Starbucks shot & the kid in the fountain were a bit of luck paired with keeping my eyes open.

The night shot on the other hand I worked for. I purposely brought a travel sized tripod and crawled to Kerry Park after having walked the whole city. Nice spot that Kerry Park. Too bad we don't have anything similar to that in LA.

06-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alinla Quote
I was up in Seattle on business last week. I managed to escape for a few hours to
wander the city and see the sights. The first 12 photos in the link below are from Seattle.

Most Recent Photos Photo Gallery by alinla at pbase.com

Feel free to C&C in the comments area on my site.

I love shooting the tourist traps & all the cliches photos. I spent some time at the Folklife festival in the park. Everyone was really friendly. I wish I would have had more time (as always) but by the end I was exhausted and my mind was trying to picture what my hotel bed looked like.

I'd love to spend more time in the city. Downtown was a great place spend time. I suppose I left lots to see & do for next time.

al
Al,

Nice to see you posting on this forum. Hope you post over here some more in the near future. Your work is always a pleasure to view and study. Glad to see you had the future (or is it present) mrs.alinla with you in Seattle

They were great images. You're lucky though, she likes to take photos too if I recall, and that helps you get great shots too. When my wife is with me she is not too tolerant of me photographing things while she is bored

Look forward to many more frequent posts from you.

Stephen
06-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
Very nice photographs, Al! Tourist photographs that are products of a keen mind for photography.

The shot of the kids playing under the fountain is fantastic in every aspect. I also like 4404 with the Starbucks sign and the Space Needle... very Seattle to most people (much to the chagrin of the locals, I'm sure!)

Nicely done!

Nikhil
I think they'll have to run pretty far to get away from the Starbucks stigma. My hotel had 3 Starbucks about 50 yds away in different directions. Not to mention the couple of Seattle's Best here and there (which apparently was recently bought by Starbucks).
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Al,

Nice to see you posting on this forum. Hope you post over here some more in the near future. Your work is always a pleasure to view and study. Glad to see you had the future (or is it present) mrs.alinla with you in Seattle

They were great images. You're lucky though, she likes to take photos too if I recall, and that helps you get great shots too. When my wife is with me she is not too tolerant of me photographing things while she is bored

Look forward to many more frequent posts from you.

Stephen
Not so much of a question of here or there. My new job has me posting far less regardless of the forum. Actually I'm shooting a lot less too, so less photos to share. And given the lack of new products to speculate about at Pentax not much reason to post either.

Actually the very near Future Mrs. didn't accompany me this time. I think I'm fortunate that my photos are just good enough to keep her from getting frustrated by my time consuming ways. I did get her a nice digicam to use for herself. Try that with your wife; she might enjoy herself more that way.

06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Some dandy shots here!

These are my favs...

06-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely work Al, even the post cards!

I've been to Seattle twice. The first time I was there I took then-8-year-old Ben, and we had spectacular weather the entire time despite the fact that it was April. We climbed the hill behind our hotel to get a panoramic of the city with the Space Needle and Mt. Rainier (aptly named) and - lo and behold - there was another photographer in my spot when we got to the top. He turned to us and said "I've been living in this town, waiting since October for this exact shot."

Ben turns to him and says:
"Us too - and we've been here since Tuesday!"

LOL.
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Lovely work Al, even the post cards!

I've been to Seattle twice. The first time I was there I took then-8-year-old Ben, and we had spectacular weather the entire time despite the fact that it was April. We climbed the hill behind our hotel to get a panoramic of the city with the Space Needle and Mt. Rainier (aptly named) and - lo and behold - there was another photographer in my spot when we got to the top. He turned to us and said "I've been living in this town, waiting since October for this exact shot."

Ben turns to him and says:
"Us too - and we've been here since Tuesday!"

LOL.
LOL. That was so good I told my coworker about it. =)
06-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to see you posting here Al, have always enjoyed your work. Like everyone else I really like the fountain, excellent use of the fisheye. When everybody likes the same shot you know it's good! The other one I really liked was the evening (early morning?) shot of the space needle and the mountain in the background, excellent postcard shot.

NaCl(hope to see more of your work here, and hope that you're not so busy in the future)H2O
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

All great shots. Glad to you shared them with us. I really like the night scenes with the blonde women. Could you share how you shot them?
06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
All great shots. Glad to you shared them with us. I really like the night scenes with the blonde women. Could you share how you shot them?
'The blode woman' - LOL!

That is the very near future-Mrs. Alinla! Without knowing his technique exactly, I can tell you that Al turned me on to strobist.com - so the technique is most likely culled from there. (It looks like he has a flash fired remotely from on the ground to the left of the camera as a rear-curtain synch on a long exposure.)
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A most wonderful series and I won't pick favourites. Thanks for posting and take care,

Heinrich
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice shots Al. Looks like you got our typical NW sunshine! The fountain caught my eye immediately.