Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ok, Its a Heron!!!
Posted By: Jimbo, 11-08-2009, 04:08 PM

These guys are killing me. I waited 1.5 hours for him to catch a fish, in the pouring rain and this is all he got. The other two were taking during the wait, along with about 125 others. Low light conditions. This were shot at a 1000 ISO, F 4.0 at between 160 t0 250 shutter speed. The last one I believe is another Kildeer but if not can someone confirm? Cheers JIM

Views: 2,682
11-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim. These are gorgeous heron shots.
1st one's just classic - a rare moment in time captured beautifully.
The next 2 are just as brilliant.

Did you also have to wait 1.5 hours for these shots?
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Did you also have to wait 1.5 hours for these shots?
The first image with the fish was my last shot this morning and yes 1.5 hours. This Heron feeds here depending on the tide and he waits for small fish to come out of the calvert. I was lucky that IK got to sit in my car though my left arm and pant leg got wet! Lighting could have been better. I was about 10 feet away. Had to sit for about 15 minutes waiting for him to show up. Thanks for looking and commenting Ash. JIM

PS: Still waiting on that one shot!! Light, light and timing!! One day!
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

WOW...great Heron shots...the wait was certainly worth it!!!

Jan

11-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
WOW...great Heron shots...the wait was certainly worth it!!!

Jan
Thanks Jan, JIM
11-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great stuff Jim.

It's amazing how close you can get to wildlife in a car. I guess they don't see the vehicle as a threat. In any case "the shot" won't be long in coming at this rate.

Tom G
11-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice!! I'm amazed too that it came that close to you. Way to take advantage of the opportunity!

The other bird is a Snipe - Wilson's Snipe, I just looked it up, I knew it wasn't a killdeer.

11-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
*sigh*

I wish these were mine...
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great stuff Jim.

It's amazing how close you can get to wildlife in a car. I guess they don't see the vehicle as a threat. In any case "the shot" won't be long in coming at this rate.

Tom G
Believe me, they find a car a lot less alarming than a person. Don't ask me why.

Nice work as usual, Jim. Guess we're the Heron fans here.

That last one does not look like a Killdeer. Could it be a Dunlin or Curlew Sandpiper? edit: looks like ramseybuckeye figured it out.

Last edited by pingflood; 11-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great stuff Jim.

Tom G
Believe me. I have spent many days not getting any closer then a 100 feet. I was out doing some landscape shooting and noticed if the Heron were busy looking for food they would almost ignore me. Same with the car. This one Heron loves this spot and you can almost time when he wil arrive. I sat here about 10-15 minutes and sure enough, along he came. Didn't even care I was sitting there in my car. Jusr dont' move too quickly. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Very nice!! I'm amazed too that it came that close to you. Way to take advantage of the opportunity!

The other bird is a Snipe - Wilson's Snipe, I just looked it up, I knew it wasn't a killdeer.
Cool, thanks. It was so weird. It was acting hurt. Even made its own eye pop out and then it just flu away. JIM

QuoteQuote:
sigh*

I wish these were mine...
Thanks for looking. I must have 100's of Heron shots and still looking for the WOW factor. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Believe me, they find a car a lot less alarming than a person. Don't ask me why.

Nice work as usual, Jim. Guess we're the Heron fans here.

That last one does not look like a Killdeer. Could it be a Dunlin or Curlew Sandpiper? edit: looks like ramseybuckeye figured it out.
Thanks bud. Yes me and you do go after the Heron shots! There more difficult then it looks to get a great Heron shot. Their head is always moving and trying to get just the right light is a challenage. JIM
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim, those last two are great! I really love the deep, contrasty colors with the last image. I assure you, it's very, very tough to nail a sharp head shot when they are hunting/moving a lot. It's the same for everyone - ultimately it's your anticipating the moment and the camera settings (aperture for DOF, etc.) are the final parts of the equation.

For reference, here's a Killdeer:
11-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, those last two are great! I really love the deep, contrasty colors with the last image. I assure you, it's very, very tough to nail a sharp head shot when they are hunting/moving a lot. It's the same for everyone - ultimately it's your anticipating the moment and the camera settings (aperture for DOF, etc.) are the final parts of the equation.
Thanks Marc. I have taken photos of Killdeer before. I just thought it may be a different type as it was playing hurt too like the Killdeer does. Here is one photo I posted earlier on a Killdeer and one more from today.

11-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still playing around with the first image. Here is another versiopn but noy completed yet. JIM

11-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice images Jim, love the first one but the last one is not a Kildeer but I believe it to be some sort of Snipe.
11-09-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool stuff, old buddy. The first and last images are my favorites.

Jer