Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

New supertelephoto - some preliminary shots!
Posted By: Marc Langille, 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM

So far, it's encouraging! I've been sidelined with a bad cold/flu for over a week. It was nice to get outside for even a little while, even though much of it was spent helping the neighbor install insulation in the crawl space of his home! I don't have the Gitzo yet, so I simply extended the first section on the Giottos tripod to keep it a bit more stable, since it was at it's max. load or slightly exceeded. The Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head really proved it's worth in the last image at such a low shutter speed.

I'm working on creating a birding environment in my recently changed back yard so I'm very happy to see activity on the feeder only within 30 seconds of setting it up!!

Carolina Wren:

Link to EXIF

Exposure Time 0.0012s (1/800)
Aperture f/7.1
ISO 640
Focal Length 600mm (900mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 2542 x 1994

Tufted Titmouse #1:

Link to EXIF

Tufted Titmouse #2:

Link to EXIF

Exposure Time 0.0012s (1/800)
Aperture f/10.0
ISO 640
Photo Dimensions 3872 x 2592

Tufted Titmouse #3:

Tufted Titmouse #3 - crop:

Link to EXIF

Exposure Time 0.008s (1/125)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 100
Photo Dimensions 2845 x 2265

The last two images show how nice the details are, yet at such a low shutter speed (1/125 sec.). This lens' sharpness is certainly not an issue wide open at 600mm!!

Hope you enjoyed these images!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 11-08-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Views: 10,494
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Incredible!
Looking forward to seeing more
Thank you - I hope to oblige!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These look terrific to me. The first one is incredible.

Jer
Hi Jer, thank you and it's always a tough situation due to movement. Luckily for me I was already watching the wren in my viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
super shots marc.... you've certainly got that howitzer under your control.....
is there a better name than 'tufted titmouse'????
I hope it gets better with a sturdier set of tripod legs - thank you.

You can try Baeolophus bicolor - will that work? Supposedly the word titmouse descends from the Old English terms, tit (any small animal or object) and mase (small bird), essentially meaning one small, small bird. It's part of what is called the chickadee family in the US. Pick your options!

Regards,
Marc

11-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Marc - wow as mentioned those first couple are so life like , good luck with the backyard set up and hope you feel better soon.
Thanks Dave and I'm getting there!

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Marc, hope you feel better soon. It is obvious that a little thing like illness isn't effecting your images. Wonderful series, great sharp feather detail this lens is able to capture.

Ray
Appreciate it Ray and sometimes the lower shutter speeds still allowed a decent capture. It's phenomenal in optimal conditions, very good in decent to marginal conditions.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yeah, it arrives today . Actually, my decision to change systems was in part a reaction to your acquisition of this lens... I thought, "wow, I'll never find one of those - I wish pentax still made lenses for nature photography...", and then I realized that other camera companies still do, and that there are a lot more used super-tele lenses around for those systems.

Clearly the 5dII is not really a birding camera, but it gets me into the system and I can pursue a crop body and long lens if finances allow in the future. I think I'm going to keep my K20D / Tamron 400/4 / 1.7x AFTC for at least a little while as my super-tele solution.
I understand and hope you'll find the right choice! Look forward to your shots Josh.

Regards,
Marc
11-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Outstanding stuff Marc.

You keep setting the bar higher. Looking forward to a lot more of these amazing images.

Tom G
Tom, glad to share and thank you sir!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Whoooaa!! Superb Marc.

However, would you ask your Tufted Titmouse #2 to stop throwing his/her seeds at my screen and to also stop eyeing off my keyboard...its making me nervous....and a little bit guilty for not having a bowl of birdseed under my monitor.

It is that lifelike!!
I appreciate the kind words Grant - nice description...

Regards,
Marc
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
Marc,
These are looking very nice for "preliminary" images!
Can't wait to see what you come up with when you get settled in with the lens.
I don't think it could have gone to a better Pentaxian. Congrats!

JayT
Thank you Jay and hopefully the other feeders, etc. will bring in more participants!. I sincerely appreciate the props and I suspect I will enjoy this lens for a long, long time. Thanks again for everything and I hope you are doing well good sir!

BTW, the Gitzo tripods are here, but I must choose... tough decision to make...

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Great results Marc... gives me more confidence with pentax Looking forward to more of your images with this lens!
Andi, much appreciated and I hope to share more very soon!

Regards,
Marc

11-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Marc,

WOW! the deatil is out of this world. Absolutely amazing photographs.
Well, I'm hoping this rookie (me) with this lens will continue to improve. Sometimes the lighting is quite tough to work in, regardless of max. aperture, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by teedee Quote
very nice shots! so nice dof too.
Thank you teedee!

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
These are beautiful shots....

I must get a copy of this lens, I must get a copy of this lens, I must get a copy of this lens, I must get a copy of this lens, I must get a copy of this lens, I must get a copy of this lens....
Thank you HO, but be careful - that's a slippery slope you consider traversing!

Regards,
Marc
11-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
This could be the first time I have be critical of any of your shots Marc but I find the last two over sharpened and the first one is border. Love the shots. JIM
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the comments - there is never any reason for you not to ask nor for me to not answer or address your comments.

The first image had a fair bit of noise in it (quite dim - overcast, near sunset) and it was tough trying to bring up the exposure levels to the proper colors could be seen. If you look at the underside of the tail there is some telltale noise. I did my best. Regarding the last two images: believe it or not, I did some sharpening, but the information is all there to be captured. That's in part the effect of the AA filter on the sensor - it reduces sharpness. With one pass, nothing more: ~120% @ radius 1.2 pixels. That's why the background of those images are quite clean and uniform: there is very little grain of note (helped by ISO 100 of course).

I took the time to dig up the image and upload it to my gallery - for reference, this is the unsharpened image. Nothing but the straight conversion from the defaults of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) into Photoshop, then saved as a JPEG:

vs the sharpened as discussed above:

I don't think I am being heavy handed in that sharpening in any way (?) , I just wanted a better delineation of the feather edges. I hope that helps put some of your concerns to rest.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 11-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marc, no concerns buddy. You know me and I try so hard to get a sharp image with the goal of getting that straight out of the camera, failing more then I get it right. Love your bird shots and these are not exception. Crap, one day if I get half as good as you I will feel its a hugh step up. Cheers Bud and thank you for going through your process. JIM

11-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Epic and sharp ....600 Im crying it will kill my bank balance that or the missus will
TFS

cheers
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are all very good Marc, but that first one really hit me between the eyes.

I am so jealous. I'd love a lens like that. I guess I'll have to wait about 10 more years before the next one comes along.
11-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Marc, no concerns buddy. You know me and I try so hard to get a sharp image with the goal of getting that straight out of the camera, failing more then I get it right. Love your bird shots and these are not exception. Crap, one day if I get half as good as you I will feel its a hugh step up. Cheers Bud and thank you for going through your process. JIM
Hi Jim,

No worries and I just wanted to make sure it's obvious that the lens is truly that sharp! It's proof that very solid technique can overcome a low shutter speed even at very long focal lengths. That's despite using an inadequate tripod!

Sounds like you and I need to discuss Yellowstone and more!!! Need to work on the long lens technique... I guarantee that if you start practicing shooting with the Bigma and backyard birds you will see an improvement with the 70-200/2.8. Once you've used longer focal lengths regularly, the "shorter" lenses are truly a lot easier to use. That's because you hone your technique a great deal doing this...

I'd suggest doing winter season birding if possible so the impact against your landscape time is minimized and there are fewer leaves on deciduous trees to contend with.

Regards,
Marc
11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Epic and sharp ....600 Im crying it will kill my bank balance that or the missus will
TFS

cheers
It would, no question good sir! Thank you and much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
These are all very good Marc, but that first one really hit me between the eyes.

I am so jealous. I'd love a lens like that. I guess I'll have to wait about 10 more years before the next one comes along.
I love songbirds in action, so I understand your comments very well about it's impact - thank you very much!

For now, I can offer you the option of living vicariously through my lens - would that work?

Regards,
Marc
11-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm expecting these to fly off my screen! WOW
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
It would, no question good sir! Thank you and much appreciated.

I love songbirds in action, so I understand your comments very well about it's impact - thank you very much!

For now, I can offer you the option of living vicariously through my lens - would that work?

Regards,
Marc
For the time being I guess it'll have to. Of course that means you'll have to lug it out hither, thither, and yon to satisfy our cravings.
11-14-2009, 05:35 AM   #44
mel
Veteran Member

And here I was getting all pleased with myself for my Tufted Titmouse shot from my 400mm Takumar. Not even close to this in sharpness. Wow. Very nice and I'm feeling huge pangs of jealousy. Sigh.

I do love those little birdies though. I think they're my favorites.
12-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

TT3 is incredibly sharp. Wonderful lens from the first results. Love the action in TT2 fussy bird tossing a perfectly good sunflower seed asside.