Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 3,040
11-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice composition. Right out of Field and Stream or something like that. (I do mean that it's a great image.)
11-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's clever and a reasonably well lit scene with interesting subjects.
My only suggestion would have been to step back a little to get the whole revolver in the frame.
The clutter formed by the belt and bullets lying around add to the composition, and only mildly compete for attention.
Well done.
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

11-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice... I agree that it's a shame the entire barrel of the revolver is not in the frame.

Mike
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still have it all set up since I was too lazy to put everything away. Maybe I'll just reshoot it
11-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Very nice... I agree that it's a shame the entire barrel of the revolver is not in the frame.

Mike
I agree. In some strange way it makes me think that the revolver is really long, I guess because you can't see the end.

I'm pretty inexperienced in something like this, but perhaps isolate one subject (the revolver?) just a little bit more.
Also, as you are going for an 'old west' theme, IMO a composition with a B&W conversion might be nice.

Btw - I like the image, although it seemed to take a little bit to grow on me.

p.s. - I wouldn't mind seeing another image where the detail on the gun to the far right was shown off some more. it looks very interesting and detailed.

Last edited by goddo31; 11-11-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: additional comment
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

nice image and composition. i dont mind the barrel being cut at all,
i rather have just a bit more air on the left side around the shaft.
b&w might work, or really washed out colors.
If you really want to work with it
you might want to play around with some scratchy textures,
that would not only give a "vintage/old west" feel but also more "old tools", they seem almost too nice/unused.
its a nice still life though.
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
My eye is drawn to the hammer on the revolver - was that your intent?
The rifle on top forms a visual barrier for my eye, while the barrel of the revolver (I like that it is not all visible) draws me up towards the center of the frame.
I like the composition, and teedee's suggestions to 'weather' the image some to give it an old-timey feel.
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been playing around with black and white and sepia versions. I am just not happy with the result yet. when playing around with the black and white, I started thinking that today, we see black and white (and /or sepia) as "old" but back when these replicas were originals they were in full color so I really wanted to show them as they would have been seen in real life instead of just how we see them today in photos. So there really is a reason why I went with the color version.

@ tdmsu - My intent really was just to show a rifle, revolver, and shotgun with the man focus on the revolver since it is what most people think about when you think about the old west and cowboys. The cartridge belt, scattered rounds and shotgun shells, I thought, just added some flair and interest. There is only one bullet type since both the rifle and revolver are chambered to use the same ammo. The ony thing not authentic is that the shotgun has a single trigger and shotguns from that time period (although sometimes very ornate with inlay and engraving), had dual triggers, one for each barrel

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I think I'll do a series of photos using this, or a similar, setup. And probably do some shots with the engraving on the shotgun as the subject. It really is a beautiful piece.
11-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I have been playing around with black and white and sepia versions. I am just not happy with the result yet. when playing around with the black and white, I started thinking that today, we see black and white (and /or sepia) as "old" but back when these replicas were originals they were in full color so I really wanted to show them as they would have been seen in real life instead of just how we see them today in photos. So there really is a reason why I went with the color version.

@ tdmsu - My intent really was just to show a rifle, revolver, and shotgun with the man focus on the revolver since it is what most people think about when you think about the old west and cowboys. The cartridge belt, scattered rounds and shotgun shells, I thought, just added some flair and interest. There is only one bullet type since both the rifle and revolver are chambered to use the same ammo. The ony thing not authentic is that the shotgun has a single trigger and shotguns from that time period (although sometimes very ornate with inlay and engraving), had dual triggers, one for each barrel

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I think I'll do a series of photos using this, or a similar, setup. And probably do some shots with the engraving on the shotgun as the subject. It really is a beautiful piece.
Really a wonderfull pic. No B/W or Sepia is needed. Layout is superb; just show the end of the revolver for more impact and you talkin' bout a picture worthy of representing a themed event; brochure, poster, etc.
This looks like professional work; what a minute, it is!
11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I like it!
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shot/composition. Right out of the pages of Guns n Ammo if there is such a magazine.

Tom G
11-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments