Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I'm Sorry But . . . .
Posted By: Sailor, 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM

. . . . . here are some more &*@#^ boat pictures - shots of a friend sailing an older version of our boat (taken last month).

I've been wanting to stimulate my flagging photographic urge with some new subjects situated on dry land, but the weather here is beautiful so we're heading to the marina tomorrow for a two or three days on the water. Consequently . . . . I can't promise that I won't post yet more nautical images.

Jer

Views: 1,350
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like all three but the last one is awesome bud. JIM
11-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
emr

Jer, keep'em coming. Very nice pictures and atmosphere. I've never even been in a sailing boat even though I live in a sea-side town. Always wanted though.
11-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice pics. But you have varying colour hues. The first has a yellow tint in the whites and the others have a blue hue. In the third image the face of the sailor is very dark red, which makes me wonder, whether you overdid saturation and contrast a bit - or the guy has got a severe sunburn. Perhaps the images were underexposed and you pushed them in pp? The bright whites lead me to that assumption.

You've got good sharpness for that kind of photography and especially the third iage has a strong composition, with the triangle of the sail providing a very striking background to the sailor's shape.

Ben

11-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No need to excuse yourself for more &*(^@# boat photos Jer!
Not many of us get to see these scenes, and I for one enjoy seeing them.
I too like #1 and #3 - love the perspectives. Yeah, they're suffering from some colour casts and a touch of CA, but the atmosphere captured just takes you there.
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey jer..... i can only echo the sentiment as in the name of the boat pictured...
i wish i was, 'almost there'..... thanks for the posting.... those who venture into our local waters now are brave souls.... it's gettin' chilly up here in rhode island.
11-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I really like all three but the last one is awesome bud. JIM
Hey - thanks a bunch, JIM. I always appreciate your kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Jer, keep'em coming. Very nice pictures and atmosphere. I've never even been in a sailing boat even though I live in a sea-side town. Always wanted though.
Come to Texas, my friend, and you can crew with me.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Nice pics. But you have varying colour hues. The first has a yellow tint in the whites and the others have a blue hue. In the third image the face of the sailor is very dark red, which makes me wonder, whether you overdid saturation and contrast a bit - or the guy has got a severe sunburn. Perhaps the images were underexposed and you pushed them in pp? The bright whites lead me to that assumption.

You've got good sharpness for that kind of photography and especially the third iage has a strong composition, with the triangle of the sail providing a very striking background to the sailor's shape.

Ben
Thanks for the nice words, Ben. You're absolutely right - color varies from shot-to-shot because I was experimenting with different WB settings. I also added some pretty aggressive contrast to these shots just to see the effect that you noticed. I think I was too heavy handed, as well.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No need to excuse yourself for more &*(^@# boat photos Jer!
Not many of us get to see these scenes, and I for one enjoy seeing them.
I too like #1 and #3 - love the perspectives. Yeah, they're suffering from some colour casts and a touch of CA, but the atmosphere captured just takes you there.
Thanks, Ash - I always enjoy your kind and useful comments.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hey jer..... i can only echo the sentiment as in the name of the boat pictured...
i wish i was, 'almost there'..... thanks for the posting.... those who venture into our local waters now are brave souls.... it's gettin' chilly up here in rhode island.
Thanks, Dave. We're enjoying the nicest time of the year in SE Texas - sunny, dry and temps in the upper 70's. It's our reward for sweating through the summer!

Jer

11-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow I feel for ya - oh the trials and tribulations you are going through - Keep posting the boats bud gives some of working stiffs in the parries something to hope for
11-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow I feel for ya - oh the trials and tribulations you are going through - Keep posting the boats bud gives some of working stiffs in the parries something to hope for
Will do, old buddy. We're heading for the marina this afternoon.

Jer
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Come to Texas, my friend, and you can crew with me.
That's a generous offer, thanks! I'll keep it in mind. But meanwhile, please keep posting.