Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vulcan Bomber
Posted By: XH558, 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Taken at this year's Royal International Air Tattoo, this was the first year that this iconic aircraft had displayed at the show since it had been restored to flying condition after the RAF had handed it over to a private owner.

I am producing these as 18x12 inch prints and if anyone is interested then get in touch. They are £20 including P&P and the proceeds will go towards the Vulcan To The Sky Trust to enable it to fly again next year. I will post overseas as well.

C&C welcome about the image.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by XH558; 11-11-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typing error
Views: 3,714
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh, nice! The only thing I might do is try to clone out the jet in the background, if possible. That is a beauty shot of a glorious old warbird, though...

I've always loved the Vulcans and their Victor cousins... We've got a Vulcan in our nearby air museum, but it's not in flying condition. Great to see one in action!

Jim
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I must say, this posted image does not justice to the plane or to the image as it could and should be. The watermark straight across is really annoying. Also the greenish hue should easily be corrected. As Jim wrote, the larger aircraft in the background should be removed to give the Vulcan its spotlight place. It is a good image, but can be improved further.

Ben
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks OK Rob.
The watermark is quite a hinder, but other than what's already mentioned, the image lacks impact - work on it in your PP program by adjusting colour, levels, curves and perhaps even some selective dodging and burning. And you'll have a winner.

11-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments

I should have added perhaps that this is a small JPEG file due to the fact that that the actual image is fairly large and I've included the watermark so that it cannot be copied

Someone did say on another forum about the RNZAF on the left of the picture being a distraction...

Having looked at the actual print itself it is a bit sharper and doesn't have the greenish hue to it.
11-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good start,

I guess like the others I needed to look closely at the starboard wingtip. There is a fighter with its undercarriage seemingly attached to the Vulcan's wingtip. Isolating the subject from the background is challenging!
11-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Good start,

I guess like the others I needed to look closely at the starboard wingtip. There is a fighter with its undercarriage seemingly attached to the Vulcan's wingtip. Isolating the subject from the background is challenging!
Especially at an event such as this where you get all kinds of airshow clutter in the background.

However I do like the fact that I caught the Red Arrows under the Port wing amongst the heat haze and the spray.

11-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think you've gotten some good suggestions and will leave that alone. I'd offer a second version that has the plane's specs. You have lots of empty space on the top and bottom that could have the plane's details for those that like to know that sort of stuff.
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful aircraft. Like Jim, we also have one at a local museum, but a flying one is rare indeed.

BTW, whenever I see that "PROOF..." watermark, I immediately start singing "... Some people gonna call you up and tell you something you already know..." (I hope someone get's the reference so I don't look like a complete nut!)