Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A flycatcher (I think...)
Posted By: heliphoto, 11-12-2009, 02:23 AM

I've tried my usual website for bird IDs, but I couldn't come to any definate conclusion on species of this one - I think it's a flycatcher of some description (bolstered by the fact that he's catching a fly in the photo )...

Canon 5DII @ ISO 800, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L @ f/5.6

click for a 100% crop

Yeah, it's probably a bit oversharpened - typical rookie trying to cover up his soft photo with USM
Views: 1,115
11-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't look so oversharpened at this resolution - it's a very nice capture.
The details are well retained and rendered.
Well done Josh.
11-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Ash. Glad you like the shot - I'm pleased with it... I was very lucky with these birds - they were basically fearless and I was able to walk up to within 2-3m of them, though their constant flitting about made it hard to get much of a shot.
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I can't help with the bird ID.

I don't think it's oversharpened, either. Looks like a nice, crisp shot, and good job getting the eye so well.

11-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

that is a real nice shot Josh, way to go!
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

Nice shot! Regarding bird ID, looks like a Bushtit to me - especially considering you mentioned there was a flock of them and they flittered about continuously. The size of a Bushtit is akin to a Chickadee, if not a bit smaller, for something to compare it to.

I think I would crop this image on top and on the left, a bit. The twig in the upper left is distracting to me. Cheers!
11-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice capture and very sharp. Amazingly even the bug in the bird's mouth is clearly visible. I find the out of foocus highlights on the left a little distracting and might crop them out. This might just be a matter of taste on my part. Otherwise a very cool image.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-12-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
11-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Sorry, I can't help with the bird ID.

I don't think it's oversharpened, either. Looks like a nice, crisp shot, and good job getting the eye so well.
Thank you flippedgazelle .
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
that is a real nice shot Josh, way to go!
Thanks, glad you liked it...
QuoteOriginally posted by entaxpay Quote
Nice shot! Regarding bird ID, looks like a Bushtit to me - especially considering you mentioned there was a flock of them and they flittered about continuously. The size of a Bushtit is akin to a Chickadee, if not a bit smaller, for something to compare it to.

I think I would crop this image on top and on the left, a bit. The twig in the upper left is distracting to me. Cheers!
I can see how the twig is a distraction, I find the foreground blur on the right, in front of the trunk to be a worse distraction. I was avoiding trying to crop too much since this is already a pretty heavy crop (full frame has it's disadvantages).

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice caputure and very sharp. Amazingly even the bug in the bird's mouth is clearly visible. I find the out of foocus highlights on the left a little distracting and might crop them out. This might just be a matter of taste on my part. Otherwise a very cool image.

Tom G
Thanks Tom - see the above comment re: the crop ... I was stoked when I saw how clear the bug was.