Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Closer and closer macro
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-06-2007, 07:18 AM

I decided to strap on a 2X teleconverter to my sigma 105mm and boost the potential of my macro ability. Now that is a 210mm 5.6 I needed a lot of light to make things come out so I boosted the iso to 400 for these shots and turned the aperture to F4 or f8 now and had at it. Mind you it was windy out and with the shallow dof its not easy to do this, but I think on a perfect day this might be a usable.

This was a strange one indeed...

And now the best image from the set with the super macro setup...

Sorry they aren't of more interesting creatures, but it's all I had in the yard that day and I didn't have time to run over to the lake for dragonflies. As always C&C is very welcome.
Views: 1,587
06-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a larger view of the last one since I don't believe I cropped it so that was a full shot at or near 1:1 w/ 2x teleconverter.

06-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Great shots Chris,

you can even add more diopters only I don't think it will work for live (or moving subjects). My max up till now is the (kiron105mm plus a 2:1 and a 4:1 diopter (raynox dcr250, raynox dcr150) stacked.

Looks more like microscopy then.

example - stamen of a African violet - not a complete 8:1 because I didn't think on looking at it.
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Ron and good suggestion. I was wondering how are those Raynox things anyway? I wanted to save up for a set but wasn't usre how awesome they really are.

06-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

usually I despise macros as, to me, they are glorified point and shoot shots: technically difficult but with no artistic or compositional merit. What a waste, why bother is my general opinion. However...

#2 is the exception. Excellent colours, view angle, the shallow depth of field is just right and capturing the bug doing what bugs do best adds visual interest to an otherwise fine colour field composition. To nitpick, capturing the entire flowers' stamens/pistils would improve the composition.
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Donald and I do sometimes feel macros get a little bit of nothing in them, but I do try and make for something a little more interesting than the straight on shot like this one from earlier today:

This shot has no PP besides RAW conversion, no cropping or anything of the sort. I used the rule of thirds to place the head of the dragonfly and used the angle of the body and the blade of grass to add interest and flow. There is a lot more to macro than just filling the frame with your subject and I do try to accomplish some composition when it's available. It's difficult to train bugs to sit still at a certain place so you can get the perfect composition . I do understand what you mean though Donald and I'm trying as best as I can to put composition in with my macros and there is a lot more with some degree of composition in my other thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/8032-break-weather.html
06-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Thank you Ron and good suggestion. I was wondering how are those Raynox things anyway? I wanted to save up for a set but wasn't usre how awesome they really are.
I got those Raynox dcr things a while back after being really disappointed with a first real cheap set of diopters. I've used them mostly on my pana FZ5, but after getting the pentax and having them around I couldn't help trying them.

Because the are acromats they are the better type of diopters, and I still use them occasionally. IMHO they work better than extension tubes, only downside is that you need a lot of light, or long exposure times. (but that is with any macro shot)

Would I've bought them after I got a 1:1 macro, I really don't dare to say, but there not bad.
06-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Really nice series of macro. I cannot wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow

I like the dragon fly shot the best