Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Smiling daughter
Posted By: Martin_Qc, 11-15-2009, 07:28 AM

I'd like to read your comments.

The picture was taken with the sun on my front left (10 O'clock) so I had a bit of problem with exposure.

Personally, I think the subject and panorama are in good proportion.....but I'm a pure green newbie here so, I'm all ears for tips, comments and constructive advices. I'm pretty sure it's a little UNDEREXPOSED, but I had to deal with the sun near the front of the lens

BTW......my daughter had a blast taking this shot.....so did I

50mm F/6.7 1/350 sec ISO-200

Views: 2,904
11-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

It's a nice shot overall. I would have bracketed the shot though and "painted" your daughter in to get her exposure correct.
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad. Well exposed, but could be improved with some dodging and burning.
Your daughter is shoved a little too far to the right of the frame, but it hasn't ruined the image.
The fellow walking on the footpath behind her looks like his/her head's been chopped off.
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
she seems to be having fun, and it is a nice shot.

cheers

11-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Its a nice shot and I quite like the framing.

In my opinion you could have done 4 things to improve the image
1. the people on the trail are a distraction and the image would be better without them
2. the horizon is off
3. the background is a tad cluttered. A wider aperture would remove some of the distraction. F4 would be an improvement but F2.8 would be even better
4. a flash would have helped the lighting on your daughter. Even the on-board pop-up would probably have provided enough fill light to work.

As it is - if you push the exposure any more without some layer masks you will cause that hot spot on her face to look bad so I would not touch the exposure if I were you.

As I said its a very nice image though.
11-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She's a real cutie at a terrific age - full of joy. The picture speaks volumes to those with young daughters or granddaughters.

Jer
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Its a nice shot and I quite like the framing.

In my opinion you could have done 4 things to improve the image
1. the people on the trail are a distraction and the image would be better without them
2. the horizon is off
3. the background is a tad cluttered. A wider aperture would remove some of the distraction. F4 would be an improvement but F2.8 would be even better
4. a flash would have helped the lighting on your daughter. Even the on-board pop-up would probably have provided enough fill light to work.
#1 - I agree with this point.....but since the picture HAD to be taken FAST (spur of the moment), I could'nt wait for people to clear the view.

#2 - I see why you'd say that, but technicaly, it is level. Teh area with the boats is a little bay closer than the treeline at the end of the lake, so, it should seems to be "crooked" since the closer shore has a lower perspective than the treeline.

#3 - I agree with you on that point......a bigger apperture would put in focus the background.

#4 - I tend to agree with you..........but even in full day light?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not bad. Well exposed, but could be improved with some dodging and burning.
Ash, could you explain dodging and burning? I don't quite follow you on that one

Thanks for the comments, it's really constructive and I will try them out in a short future.

Keep the tricks of the trade coming

Last edited by Martin_Qc; 11-16-2009 at 07:01 PM.
11-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cute daughter, Martin ! Well done given the circumstances. I do agree with others about the people coming in the right side.

About fill-flash in bright daylight, the built-in flash can do the job in a pinch... BUT you must not forget that it cannot do high-speed sync, so you are restriceted to shutter speeds of 1/180s and below. For this photo, you would have had to close the aperture 1 stop (about f/9) or use ISO100, otherwise everything would have been overexposed.