Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
American Avocet Duet (4 pics)
Posted By: trailhiker, 06-08-2007, 05:35 AM

These shorebirds are really fun to watch, skimming back-and-forth with their long bills across the water surface picking up insects and such. And then the female went into the "horizonal position" in the 3rd pic and held it for about 20 seconds. I thought, "Is that...?" And indeed it was, the Mating Duet, as the 4th pics shows...These were taken at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine, California, handheld, with the K10D and Sigma 50-500mm lens.

Steve

Views: 1,453
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

A very nice series of shots, congratulations. I saw my first avocet last month on a local beach, stumbled across it's nest too. They are an interesting bird.
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Steve,

This is a really wonderfull series of images. As soon as I saw the images I thought they were shot with a Sigma. I like their color rendition and the contrast is seemingly a signature of their coatings.

Nice to see that you captured that elusive cloacal kiss on the final frame.

Stephen
06-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
A very nice series of shots, congratulations. I saw my first avocet last month on a local beach, stumbled across it's nest too. They are an interesting bird.
Scott, these Avocets and a similar "wader", the Black-Necked Stilt, are fairly common down in the shallow waters of southern California's Orange County. They never fail to entertain, watching them move about with their ballet-type moves. That nest you stumbled on was probably right on the ground? Yeah, they're easy pickings for raccoons and such.

Best Wishes,
Steve

06-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Steve,

This is a really wonderfull series of images. As soon as I saw the images I thought they were shot with a Sigma. I like their color rendition and the contrast is seemingly a signature of their coatings.

Nice to see that you captured that elusive cloacal kiss on the final frame.

Stephen
You're right Stephen, Sigma lenses do seem to brand their own trademark "look" to photos taken with them. I find the contrast and bokeh work really well with birds, helping to enhance and isolate the subject, though the bokeh can get a little "wild" at times where you're going "WHOA!" And about that "cloacal kiss," I have the actual burst sequence of it. The male "fell off" a few seconds afer this one photo. Don't think he was able to get a, er, "firm grip" on his gal... But as it only takes a moment, who knows?

Thanks, Stephen!
Best Wishes,
Steve
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a wonderful series Steve, thanks for posting it.

Heinrich
06-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Love them!

A great series of action shots. I've only seen these birds once- in southern Saskatchewan- but I can still remember their graceful moves.

Thanks for posting these.

06-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful birds, beautiful photos:-)