Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fall Macro - FA* 200mm F4
Posted By: Adam, 11-21-2009, 11:14 PM

I'm back in Arizona for a week, and I can't complain one bit about the weather. Sunny as always

Here's what the fall looks like here: Mosphotos.com Gallery

EXIF info can be found when viewing the photos in the gallery (link at the top of the post). All the photos were taken with the FA* 200mm macro at ISO 400 (regrettably), and apparently my camera's internal date setting is off by one month

Note: this is my first non-Photoshop gallery! I don't have my main laptop with me, so I'm left with my small Linux notebook that I usually use for work. Select images were lightly processed in GIMP, others were just scaled.

Anyway, enjoy; C&C welcome!
Views: 1,968
11-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alarmingly colourful Adam!
Might be a little on the over-exposed/saturated side, but they're good results.
Focusing looked to be a tough issue here - ? a touch of FF happening.
The butterfly shots seem to be OK but the others aren't quite nailed sharpness-wise.
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
GIMP's sharpening tools are quite horrible to say the least; I'll have to try to photoshop these later and see if I can't get better results. I should also be able to remove the noise, as quite a bit was added using GIMP's sharpen (versus what Photoshop's smart sharpen would give).

When picking my gallery photos I went for composition over sharpness; the problem with these was mostly DOF, since it was hard for me to stop down to F11 (the point at which the lens provides a decent range) while hand-holding. #1 is also almost a 100% crop, as I couldn't get it all too close on the bee.

As far as saturation goes, I did try to really pop the colors in #5. The last photo seems to be over-saturated as well, but that's probably because I did a brightness/contrast adjustment on top of an already-saturated image (that wall was really, really red). #3, which seems to have saturated petals, is actually unedited. Note that the magnification here is about 1:2 as I was quite close to the flower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Some 100%'s of #3. May need to do some shadow/highlight on the white parts of the petals to get rid of that blurred illusion.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well Adam, they're all just fine.
It's that last one that threw me off I guess - seeing the pavement in front of the pot in sharp focus but not the pot or plants themselves.
Seeing the full-size crops does show the top resolution of the lens.
Well done with these.
11-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Damn Brit

I'm digging the fall colour on the wall of the last one.
Those agave shadows look neat, you should try and get an isolated shot of them and nothing else, make a nice abstract.
11-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I might have a few, actually! I'll see what else I can come up with.

Adam

11-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Inactive Account

A lovelly collection!