Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
American Road Race of Champions
Posted By: emilf, 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM

A couple of weeks ago I went to the American Road Race of Champions, which is a regional SCCA Club event at Road Atlanta. I went with my new K7 and the Bigma.

There is a big improvement in AF-C speed with the K7 over the k20d.

These are just a few of the photos I took - I have posted ~3,800 on my site (click on signature).

Views: 2,703
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series. I like the shot of the vette with the flames shooting from the exhaust out the side. The VW riding 2 wheels around the corner is a nice capture too. Nice job.
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These have been all snapped in perfect focus.
Your panning technique is impeccable.
Well done.

Not a good result for that last car.
11-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great car shots - some of the best I've seen for a while. I really enjoyed the Miata images. I've owned three of 'em over the years (including a silver one), and recently traded the last one (an '04 Mazdaspeed) for a new car. It's great to see Miatas in action in these wonderful pictures. Thanks for posting.

Jer

11-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great series nice crisp shots and panning down to a art TFS

cheers
11-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Cool series. Do you know what started the fire on 07?

MX5/Miatas are tops!
11-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for these phenomenal pics.... love the flames shootin' out of the exhaust.... wish my hyundai santa fe could do that !!!

11-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
These have been all snapped in perfect focus.
Your panning technique is impeccable.
Well done.

Not a good result for that last car.
Thanks. And no, they had to use two or three bottles to put it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great car shots - some of the best I've seen for a while. I really enjoyed the Miata images. I've owned three of 'em over the years (including a silver one), and recently traded the last one (an '04 Mazdaspeed) for a new car. It's great to see Miatas in action in these wonderful pictures. Thanks for posting.

Jer
Thanks. The races with the Miatas seem to be the most interesting. They push it pretty hard so there is plenty of action.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Great series nice crisp shots and panning down to a art TFS

cheers
Thanks. The Bigma is pretty heavy, but it seems to help when panning as you are almost forced to follow through.

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Cool series. Do you know what started the fire on 07?

MX5/Miatas are tops!
Thanks. Not 100% sure, but I think it was a fuel leak. Once they cut the power they were able to put it out pretty quick. He sure did get out of there in a hurry. The fire happened on one of the first laps of the first qualifying session, and he wasn't able to get out again that day. The engine compartment looked pretty toasted, but he did get through a few laps in both the Saturday and Sunday races. Didn't finish any of the races though.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
thanks for these phenomenal pics.... love the flames shootin' out of the exhaust.... wish my hyundai santa fe could do that !!!
Yeah, the flames look good. I didn't even notice them at first, but when I did a quick bit of chimping I noticed it and caught it again on a later lap.
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great images!!! I would love to catch the Petit LeMans at R A someday.. But this looked like a pretty cool event too.
11-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Great images!!! I would love to catch the Petit LeMans at R A someday.. But this looked like a pretty cool event too.
Thanks. Petit Le Mans this year was a bit of a disappointment... Thursday and Friday weren't that bad, but there were quite a bit of clouds and not that much light and the Bigma is not exactly a fast lens. The race itself was a big letdown with it being rained out after only a few hours. But hey - when two cars go off track following the pace car you know there's a lot of water on the track. Some places had 4-6" of standing water...

This race was pretty cool although it was nowhere near as big. It is an amateur event, so not that many people there with a very relaxed atmosphere. The weather was perfect - sunny and low 70's. Of course it didn't hurt that I had photo credentials I'd love to have that for Petit, but hopefully in a couple of years I'll get to that point

I haven't posted any of the Petit shots, but maybe I'll get around to that this weekend. I did post some of the shots I took in the beginning of October at the WERA Grand National Finals (motorcycles) here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/76281-sports-road-racing...al-finals.html