Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stormtrooping - Part I
Posted By: nate_b, 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM

A longtime lurker and first time poster, I’m finally off the sidelines and into the game with my recent purchase of a white K-x. This is my first DSLR and foray in the world of photography, and I couldn't be more pleased. Yesterday I had the opportunity to set out on my first “stormtrooping” mission, and I was instinctively drawn to Portland’s beautiful Broadway Bridge. I snapped off a few shots of interesting subjects en route, but spent most of my time on and around the bridge.

Pics for clicks, below. Being new to this, C&C is quite welcome as I really want to improve. All photos are out of camera jpegs (“bright “mode) with the 18-55 kit lens and mild post processing in GIMP (primarily white balance & contrast adjustments). I hope to eventually develop a RAW workflow and some decent pp skills, but learning the camera is enough for now. Thanks for looking.

Part I - En Route

Views: 1,351
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well you are off to a great start here. I liked your choice of subject and you arn't afraid to move around and shoot from different angles. I liked #s 1,4,7 & 10 in particular. Post more when you get them. I know lots here will be interested in K-x results.
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and kind words, IowaBoy. I'll be sure to post Part II soon, with some Portland cityscapes from the Broadway Bridge.

-Nate
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum.
Try posting just a few at a time, max 5, in future. That many images take a long time to load and people get fed up with waiting.

11-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Nate.
A good series to start off with.
I'll refrain from C&C at this stage other than to say watch your exposures in high contrast areas - you may need to consider shooting at a perspective that avoids harsh shadowing within the frame that may detract from the important details of the scene.
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Try posting just a few at a time, max 5, in future. That many images take a long time to load and people get fed up with waiting.

Thanks for the welcome and my apologies for the image clutter. I'll be sure to limit things from here on out.

-Nate
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome Nate.
A good series to start off with.
I'll refrain from C&C at this stage other than to say watch your exposures in high contrast areas - you may need to consider shooting at a perspective that avoids harsh shadowing within the frame that may detract from the important details of the scene.
Thanks for the reply and advice, Ash. I appreciate it. As much as my eye may be naturally drawn to high contrast scenes and subjects, it certainly makes sense to avoid those perspectives that will ultimately detract from the resultant image.

-Nate