Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharp Rock Views (Vistas da Pedra Aguda)
Posted By: Ivan de Almeida, 11-26-2009, 05:36 PM

K20D, Magenta Filter, Polarizer, UniWB, Super Takumar 28mm f/3.5 M42

Views: 2,348
11-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

beautiful shots. the old Tak still shines. Thanks for sharing.
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These with a Tak? They look great.
Good choice to polarise and add the filter.
Has come out quite well.
Would have been nice to see the mountainscape without the barbed wire fence, but these are fine.
11-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

looks like abeautiful place,jealous i am!

11-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, Friends;

That's a place in the mountains near Rio de Janeiro (3:00h car drive) I have a little house.
11-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like the composition of the first one, but in the other two (particularly the second one) the foreground elements detract from the image in my eyes. Maybe rearranging the composition so that the mountain was set above the wires (rather than seen through them) and arranging the second one so that the peak of the mountain isn't covered by the tip of a branch would have improved things.
11-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I really like the composition of the first one, but in the other two (particularly the second one) the foreground elements detract from the image in my eyes. Maybe rearranging the composition so that the mountain was set above the wires (rather than seen through them) and arranging the second one so that the peak of the mountain isn't covered by the tip of a branch would have improved things.
Thanks a lot.

I understand your questions, but I think are question that considering the mountains the principal theme, and I think the mountains aren’t the objective. The objective is a local presence sensation, a “stay in this place” sensation. And the foreground is a local presence element.

But yours questions are interesting and relevant, and I thank to your commentary.

11-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice pictures.
I wanted to know what purpose the magenta filter serves for. I sold all my color fi..wait i think no one bought them , because i thought they are for B&W and can be done on PC.
I like first one the most.
11-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Nice pictures.
I wanted to know what purpose the magenta filter serves for. I sold all my color fi..wait i think no one bought them , because i thought they are for B&W and can be done on PC.
I like first one the most.
Thanks a lot.

Look to that article about magenta filter:
Using Magenta Filter for Shooting With a dSLR Camera Under the Daylight | LibRaw

I use a magenta filter and UniWB to get a full three channels (RGB at Bayer Matrix) exposition and avoid a tipical software WB daylight multiplication ( X 2 to Red anda 1.5 to Blue)

About UniWB:
GUILLERMO LUIJK >> TUTORIALS >> UNIWB. MAKE CAMERA DISPLAY RELIABLE
11-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explenation. Interesting topic. I knew there was a catch to it, because of the not so unusual filter colour and the way shadow areas look (reminded me of HDR).
Maybe it's worth a try.
Some comments in the article also covers the idea of wider bandwidth colour filters in current high iso cameras, which tend to degrade colour performance.

Last edited by ytterbium; 11-28-2009 at 05:02 PM.
11-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Thanks for the explenation. Interesting topic. I knew there was a catch to it, because of the not so unusual filter colour and the way shadow areas look (reminded me of HDR).
Maybe it's worth a try.
Some comments in the article also covers the idea of wider bandwidth colour filters in current high iso cameras, which tend to degrade colour performance.
Not all in these photos are filter or/and UniWB.

UniWB and Magenta filter may get the best all channels exposure, than, after, I will make a conversion with more possibilities.

To get a HDR-like look I converted whit zero Contrast and zero Black. The effect is illuminate the medium-low tones.

The capture, with a critical exposure to don’t blowing but get the maximum exposure before blowing, the all channels full exposure with magenta filter and a conversion without any contrast or blacks is the keys to get that luminosity.