Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Downy Woodpecker M 400/5.6 (2 images)
Posted By: 8540tomg, 11-27-2009, 03:01 PM

Went hunting with the M 400/5.6 after work today and managed a few images of a Downy Woodpecker.

I've seen these fellows a lot of late but they seldom are as cooperative as they were this afternoon.

K10D SMC Pentax M 400/5.6, ISO 400 @ f 5.6 or 8.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-27-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 4,930
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Jason,

The Downy Woodpecker isn't large (6 1/2 inches, 16cm.) but bigger than the Chickadees I've been shooting of late.

A little bit of stealth, some luck, and a lot of patience is the key to getting close to these guys.

Tom G

12-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As tom suggests to some extent size is relitive, the woodpecker is bigger than a chickadee, which he posted a while back, and much bigger than a goldfinch, of which tom has posted many great shots with his 300F4, and in the process giving up 25% magnification over his present lens.

If you ask me, I think tom is taking easier shots now, than he used to
12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Tom, the first one could be one of your best shots ever. Well done! JIM
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Tom, the first one could be one of your best shots ever. Well done! JIM
they are both great shots, and what really makes it is focus and exposure are spot on, but I like the second one because the first is missing a little of his tail (OOPS!)

12-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As tom suggests to some extent size is relitive, the woodpecker is bigger than a chickadee, which he posted a while back, and much bigger than a goldfinch, of which tom has posted many great shots with his 300F4, and in the process giving up 25% magnification over his present lens.

If you ask me, I think tom is taking easier shots now, than he used to
Thanks Jim,

I like the Woodpecker shots but I hope to get a better one soon. I any case I'm enjoying the fresh air and the hunt.

Thanks Lowell - I think.

That Downey Woodpecker wasn't exactly easy to track down but it does raise an interesting question. Which of the small birds is the most difficult to shoot? They all present their challenges.

The American Goldfinch gave me fits before I was able to get some decent images. I must have taken hundreds of shots with the K 300/4 before I got much I could live with.

The Blacked Capped Chickadee was equally difficult and maybe more so as I only have one good image of these guys. The shallower depth of field of the M 400/5.6 made them especially tough.

At the moment the bird on my most wanted list is the Northern Cardinal. I've been after this guy off and on for over a year with little to show for my efforts. This sorry example below is a sad testament to the validity of that statement.

Northern Cardinal

I suppose the toughest small bird is the one you don't have a shot of yet. My list is a long one but I working on it.

Which bird is giving you guys the most trouble?

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 12-01-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what bird is the hardest to shoot?

Tom

this topic could be a whole thread on it's own.

In terms of difficulty, a lot depends on where you live. If you live on point pelee, in may when the birds are tired after flying across lake erie, everything is easy I suppose.

Like you I find finches and warblers difficult because they are a) small and b) don't sit still.

I have not yet got a decent shot of a hummingbird, or better yet, one in a natural setting, not on a red plastic feeder.

If you have a feeder or two and garden then most shots are relitively easy if you are patient and wait.

on the other side of the equation, birds of prey I find difficult because they are usually unapprochable even if they are big. (my hawk eating a mouse shot with a 105mm lens is a real exception)

Waders, Herons, egrets, and the like are easy because they are approachable, stand relitively still, and are BIG.

I go out now, when I hike etc... and have the approach that If I don't have a photo, I didn't see it. That does not mean photos are great, but they usually are enough for identification purposes. I have a library by species, of what shots I have got, and even though I have great shots of some, I will always take another shot when I see something just in case it's better.

I have printed maybe 50 species of the 320+ that I have seen.

As you can see, I have lots to do,
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #22
mel
Veteran Member

Oh grrr. Just grrr. Do you have any idea how many shots I've taken of these stupid woodpeckers in my backyard with my 400/5.6? Hundreds I say. Hundreds! Including probably another hundred just today. Do I have anything with this kind of clarity? Nary a one. Arg. Maybe the 400 is just too much lens for me.

Nice shots. Even with his back turned. Very nice. I'm jealous. Okay. Tantrum over. Back to work. Sigh.

12-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Oh grrr. Just grrr. Do you have any idea how many shots I've taken of these stupid woodpeckers in my backyard with my 400/5.6? Hundreds I say. Hundreds! Including probably another hundred just today. Do I have anything with this kind of clarity? Nary a one. Arg. Maybe the 400 is just too much lens for me.

Nice shots. Even with his back turned. Very nice. I'm jealous. Okay. Tantrum over. Back to work. Sigh.

Patience my young Padawan.

As I look back, it must be almost a year now, I've been after the Downy Woodpecker. Not every waking moment mind you but always on the look out. These guys will tolerate you but always seem to scramble around to the other side of the tree just as you are about to trip the shutter. So far this is the best I've managed. Hey, if it were easy it wouldn't be bird photography.

Your time will come. Mine too I hope.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 12-02-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo