Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Kids and the Holidays (f/1.4 OOF content)
Posted By: mikeSF, 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM

We put up our Christmas tree yesterday and the kids decorated gingerbread houses and played games at the table while my wife baked pumpkin muffins - it was a real Norman Rockwell moment. Meanwhile, I walked out to the front porch and found that the postman had delivered my Super Tak 50/1.4 from Canada (thanks Peter Zack!). I tore open the box and just began shooting, all wide open, f/1.4.

Ever since seeing those amazing OOF holiday lights shots from Duh_Vinci last year, I have been patiently waiting for this year so I could check out the OOF highlights from Christmas lights. Here goes:

#1 Li'l Ella[shot with the Cosina 55mm at f/1.2]

#2 Mr. P in deep concentration

#3 Gingerbread house

#4 Li'l E & Tree

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-07-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Views: 4,927
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The bokeh is beautiful and colourful, but I can't decide on whether it adds to the images or subtracts from them because it keeps my eyes wandering over the background and not the subject. You need to tone it down a few stops. How's F2 to F2.8 sound?

12-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
The bokeh is beautiful and colourful, but I can't decide on whether it adds to the images or subtracts from them because it keeps my eyes wandering over the background and not the subject. You need to tone it down a few stops. How's F2 to F2.8 sound?
thanks for the good advice. i will experiment with raising the lighting of the subject to de-emphasize the background. stopping down won't do the trick because the highlights will change from big circles to smaller hexagons which is not the look i am after.
i will try this soon. thanks again.
12-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Really like the first series Mike. The second and last one stick out! Looks like a great addition to your lens collection. JIM
12-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great series Mike - really nice bokeh and colour!

Thanks for sharing! #1 and #4 have a great feel about them IMHO. Well done!

You've inspired me to get out my FA50 f1.4!

Cheers

12-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice Mike great use of DOF.
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
JMR
Veteran Member

These are excellent. I especially like 2 and 4, they are so well done and evocative.

JMR
12-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Guhh.... These f1.2 make my wallet ache. I'm already planning to get a 20mm Mir. And tax returns are coming in. I could use that money to pay back some of my student loan...
12-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Really like the first series Mike. The second and last one stick out! Looks like a great addition to your lens collection. JIM
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Great series Mike - really nice bokeh and colour!

Thanks for sharing! #1 and #4 have a great feel about them IMHO. Well done!

You've inspired me to get out my FA50 f1.4!

Cheers
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very nice Mike great use of DOF.
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
These are excellent. I especially like 2 and 4, they are so well done and evocative.

JMR
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Guhh.... These f1.2 make my wallet ache. I'm already planning to get a 20mm Mir. And tax returns are coming in. I could use that money to pay back some of my student loan...
i was out of town for the week but just got back and appreciate the views and comments everyone!