Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Early morning on the river
Posted By: Cornet1, 11-29-2009, 05:11 AM

One of a series of shots with k100D looking at the side of a storm fron rolling along a valley in the Yorkshire Dales. Although i usually take rubbish shots with k100D, for some reason i have always liked this one.

Edit; Wrong title!! Should be 'Early morning on the river'

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-29-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: incorrect title
Views: 3,258
11-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few elements that were exploited here: the ducks in a line, the gentle S curve of the creek leading to a small building at its end - good stuff.

Coming together, they do have potential - this shot is a good start but does look like a snapshot.
The burnt highlight at the water near the ducks is particularly distracting, and the messy grassland and sky are a little dull.

Not quite sure how to bring out the best in this one, but perhaps start with the RAW image and salvage the highlights with a boost in contrast and colours.
11-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.....It's somehow got the wrong title

I hardly like to tell you, but the colours and the general feel are the very things that I like about this shot!....That;s probably why I'm such a crap photographer!!
11-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Title fixed and the copied version was deleted.
I like the mood, it conveys the quiet peacefulness of the scene. Not to criticize Ash but I see what he is saying about the highlight on the water but in reality, that's probably accurate. We've gotten very used to a lot of post processing work and sometimes it helps a lot.
On the flip side, if you look at old landscape paintings, the colours are often muted and very close to the real thing as seen here.

I'd keep the adjustments very subtle and just a slight amount of shadow recovery and a touch of contrast (curves) to enhance what to my eye, is a wonderful image.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-29-2009 at 05:52 AM.
11-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Peter,..thank you so much for your help and insightful comments,...it is indeed the similarity to the Dutch school that has always appealed to me about this shot. I will try your adjustment suggestions, thank you.