Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
No wide angle... no problem
Posted By: SCGushue, 06-10-2007, 07:28 AM

I did not bring the DA 12-24 with me this weekend when I went down to Philadelphia.

I was at the Franklin Institute and thought the architecture of the rotunda was fairly
impressive so I took 24 images of the space and merged them into a single hi rez (135 MB image).

This is a .5 MB low rez version for showing here. I was not sure I would get anything usable because
shutter speeds were very low and handheld.

Work on the individual layers will have to wait for another time though.

Images were from a K10D and a SMCP 35 f3.5.

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Stephen
Views: 2,812
06-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shot. Would love to see more in the ceiling
06-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love that building, and that spot in particular. If you look the other way, you get:
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Nice shot. Would love to see more in the ceiling
Roentarre,

Thanks for the input.

The entire concept of producing a mosaic of this place was spontaneous. If you look at Sean's image above you can geet an idea of just how very dark it can be inside this rotunda. I could barely read the camera functions.

I was hamstrung in that I couldn't cover anything great with a 35mm (53mm equiv). The light that fell on Ben Franklin was the source of the meter reading since it was the center of interest. The images were 1/20 @ f8. Any slower a shutter speed or higher f-stop and just one bad frame in the 24 would ruin the whole image.

In working this image, I was torn between adding more detail to the vaulted cieling than was actually there. I opened up the shadows to greater detail in the pattern. Any more might have negatively effected the ambience of the place. this image is quite a bit brighter than it actually was (artistic license?)

But, it is good to know that when in a pinch, even a standard lens can be turned into an ultrawide (in the case about 10mm) to cover the FOV.

I found myself doing it many many times on this trip

Next time I'll bring the A Team lenses.

Stephen

06-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I love that building, and that spot in particular. If you look the other way, you get:
Hi Sean,

I don't recall seeing that spacecraft there...

I have to admit... that this sculptured statue of Franklin is very impressive. I remember turning right into the rotunda and saying "whoaaaaaaa". I knew it would require more than a snapshot to do it justice.

BTW, no way to photograph in the King Tut exhibit. Found it a wee bit disappointing too. So much for buying tickets two years ago. But that is another story.

It was nice weather there on Friday and Saturday, though the mid 90's on Friday can make for a challenging walk in the sunshine.

Hope you enjoyed the milder whether up here.

Stephen
06-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is extremely nice work Stephen, thanks for sharing.

Heinrich
06-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Awesome shot! So they don't let cameras in the King Tut exhibit? Or it was just a mob scene? My wife and I have tickets for August and are looking forward to it. I used to always go to the Franklin Institute on field trips as a kid so it will be fun to go back!

06-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Great work, what program did you use for the merging.
06-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Awesome shot! So they don't let cameras in the King Tut exhibit? Or it was just a mob scene? My wife and I have tickets for August and are looking forward to it. I used to always go to the Franklin Institute on field trips as a kid so it will be fun to go back!
egordon,

No photography allowed. I reluctantly respected their wishes. there were guards everywhere.

While it was not what I personally expected to see for all the hoopla and the fact that I reserved these tickets two years ago, I will tell you not to get your hopes up too much on this exhibit. There were intersting things to see, but half the exhibit is not even about Tut and there is nothing bigger than a breadbox that belonged to him in HIS section. Let me know what you think when you have seen it.

There are some cook things in the FI. It would be even greater if I were a kid as the facility obviously caters to their ever expanding minds.

Thanks for the positive feedback too.

Stephen
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Great work, what program did you use for the merging.
Ronny,

Thanks.

I use PTGui most of the time for merging images. I is so vastly superior to anything that CS2 offers. Though...you do need photoshop to clean up the varioius "doubles" that occur with this type of mosaic that involves moving people.
in CS2 you have to clean up each individual layer to perfect the image.

If I had had my pano head with me (and a tripod too) I might have tried for a VR 360 and gathered in the entire dome and floor. This would be a great subject for that.

Hope this info helps.

Stephen
06-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Very nice picture. I was born and raised and lived my whole life in Northern Delaware, and have never been to the Franklin Institute. Ony 1 hour away, and never had a school trip, never chaperoned my kids trips there. Maybe I'll have to take a trip with the wife up there soon.
06-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gratefulbruce Quote
Very nice picture. I was born and raised and lived my whole life in Northern Delaware, and have never been to the Franklin Institute. Ony 1 hour away, and never had a school trip, never chaperoned my kids trips there. Maybe I'll have to take a trip with the wife up there soon.

Bruce,

I know the feeling. I moved to NYC as a kid and spent 20 years there until moving out to the midwest. I currently live only two hours away... and I have yet to ever go to the Statue of Liberty. Will I ever see it???? Fagetaboutit!

I enjoyed my visit to the FI and so did my wife. I'll be posting some pictures tonight of the little weekend down there. I think I have a shot of my wife playing with paper helicopters at FI. I guess some people never grow up

Stephen
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
egordon,

No photography allowed. I reluctantly respected their wishes. there were guards everywhere.

While it was not what I personally expected to see for all the hoopla and the fact that I reserved these tickets two years ago, I will tell you not to get your hopes up too much on this exhibit. There were intersting things to see, but half the exhibit is not even about Tut and there is nothing bigger than a breadbox that belonged to him in HIS section. Let me know what you think when you have seen it.

There are some cook things in the FI. It would be even greater if I were a kid as the facility obviously caters to their ever expanding minds.

Thanks for the positive feedback too.

Stephen
That really stinks about the no photography. It was the same when Body Worlds was there. Fortunately it was only the 'special exhibits' that have such a shortcoming.
(Similarly, I told the gentleman at the Museum of Modern Art in Rome how "unenlightened" he was to disallow photography. It isn't just here.)

I'm sorry to say that friends of mine attended the misnamed Tut exhibit last month. I didn't want to spoil it for you in advance, so I never mentioned it.

What a coincidence that I was up north on Saturday, and it was an absolute stunner - not more than 70 degrees, almost all sun, no humidity...my idea of a perfect late Spring day. When I got home Saturday evening it was hot and muggy...my idea of why I want to get the h*ll off the East Coast.

I'll be back up in not too long - hopefully not when you're in Philly again!!

(I do love this shot, btw - and my super-old Super-Takumar 35/3.5 is a pretty darn good lens, so I'm sure the SMC version is even better.)

Take care,
Sean
06-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
That really stinks about the no photography. It was the same when Body Worlds was there. Fortunately it was only the 'special exhibits' that have such a shortcoming.
(Similarly, I told the gentleman at the Museum of Modern Art in Rome how "unenlightened" he was to disallow photography. It isn't just here.)

I'm sorry to say that friends of mine attended the misnamed Tut exhibit last month. I didn't want to spoil it for you in advance, so I never mentioned it.

What a coincidence that I was up north on Saturday, and it was an absolute stunner - not more than 70 degrees, almost all sun, no humidity...my idea of a perfect late Spring day. When I got home Saturday evening it was hot and muggy...my idea of why I want to get the h*ll off the East Coast.

I'll be back up in not too long - hopefully not when you're in Philly again!!

(I do love this shot, btw - and my super-old Super-Takumar 35/3.5 is a pretty darn good lens, so I'm sure the SMC version is even better.)

Take care,
Sean

Sean,

I'm really sorry that fate had us in each others backyard on this weekend. I must tell you though I had a great time in Philly. Glad you enjoyed the weather up in the mountains up north. Though I have to tell you that Friday, in Philly, was astronomically hotter than Saturday. But the sun shone and Judy and I had a great time.

On Tut: I can't say it was a waste of a C note to see the exhibit. Quite frankly, there were one or two things to see that made it worth going (as in, funerary box, a golden cermonial fan with great fret work, and a golden dagger, that alone, was worth the price of admission... if you enjoy art ). But, thank you for not letting me know ahead of time...more for my wife's sake than mine.

As for no photography, I guess they want to bleed you dry in the gift shop. And if you took photos...what would be the reason to overspend the the TUT SHOP.

But, in the end it was wonderful.

On the SMCK... I think your right. I used Takumars when M42 was the universal standard. Luckily, when I started doing photography for a living the bayonets came into existance. But the 35/3.5 is beyond belief in resolution. This is perhaps the most highly regarded lens in Pentax history with respect to resolution numbers. I found little to no CA and flare was fairly well handeled... though some does show on the skylight in the rotuna. Then again, the extremes in daylight and the near darkness of the rotunda would stress any digital imaging situation...regardless of make and model. As I wrote you seperately, I found the SMCP A 35-105 3.5 handled itself just as well. Manual metering is much more enjoyable and specific than programing. Well, for static situations anyway.

I'll post on Philly shortly. Hope to hear back from you and get some additional indsight from you.

Also, I think I'd like to have you show me around town on a shooting. It is even more interesting than NYC in my opinion.

Stephen
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Also, I think I'd like to have you show me around town on a shooting. It is even more interesting than NYC in my opinion.

Stephen
The offer is always open - and this applies to anyone in the forum - for a photo shoot in the Philly area (except for Evan and David and the rest of the southeastern PA crowd - you guys can go on your own!).

But *better* than NYC? Hmmm. I don't think so. Just based on restaurants alone, NYC is my favorite city in the world, with London a close second. (NB - Kinsale, Ireland and West Chester, PA are the best 'small town' places for restaurants.) Philly has gone downhill over the past decade. It is so unfortunate that after cleaning up the town in the late-1990's, Philly has caught back up with its reputation as Filth-adelphia.

NYC also has tremendous museums and mind-boggling skyscrapers. Oh - and it has insane taxi drivers like no other US city!