Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Seattle arboretum
Posted By: Ecaterin, 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Hello I'm new! Seems I'm supposed to contribute as well as read and ogle everyone else's pictures, so here are a few of mine. A few pics I took yesterday evening at Arboretum park here in Seattle. All taken on my K10D with a Pentax M 50mm 1.7. It was my first excursion with this 1.7 and I'm verrrrry impressed with it. I didn't have to touch up the photos in any way....but I'm so used to needing to I ended up spending the time playing with effects instead
So here you are - Seattle arboretum, at dusk, late November.
Big ole Great Blue Heron surveying the park

Mr. Heron again - he's dead center, but hard to see. I got really fascinated by the amazing tree shapes when I went to B&W

I didn't take color out of everything though :P

I wish I'd nailed the focus on this shot (I think I jiggled) cause I love the repeating green/brown stems in the background.

Views: 2,366
11-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good way to begin.
Looked like you had fun capturing these scenes.

These aren't bad - some could do with added contrast/brightness.

With regards to compositions, you would do well to consider what subject you want to capture and think about how you would like to frame it to best portray it in the image. Simple principles are often the best, and I would suggest in this regard to go out with the premise that a photo should contain a subject, a complementary, non-distracting background, and nothing else.

Hope this helps.
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
TY Ash I'm afraid I was shooting so near dark that I've dredged up all the brightness I could out of the pixels before I really degraded them - one reason I decided to play with B&W actually :P The B&Ws are really dark looking at them here in the forum, darker than they looked while I was editing. I'll need to return to them and see whether it's the difference between my eyes late last night and today or my imagination