Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Starting Plane - Junkers Ju 52 (veeery wide image!)
Posted By: philzucker, 06-11-2007, 01:34 AM

Posted this one already on the other forum, but would like to get your opinion! It
shows a veteran aircraft, over sixty years old, starting for a short round trip flight
in Moenchengladbach, Germany - a Junkers Ju 52, nicknamed "Auntie Ju":

A quick and dirty pano, don't look too close on the background, focus was on the
aircraft here. And forgive me for mirroring the image - just looks better if the plane
starts from left to right, even if the letters on it look a bit awkward then!

What do you think? Would it work better for you in original, non-mirrored orientation?

Any comments welcome!
Views: 1,821
06-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. I like it! Good idea, difficult to get the background right though? I suppose when scrolling left to right it looks better the way you have it, but it does look a little silly having the letters around the wrong way, maybe you can fix that too
06-11-2007, 02:32 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Cool. I like it! Good idea, difficult to get the background right though? I suppose when scrolling left to right it looks better the way you have it, but it does look a little silly having the letters around the wrong way, maybe you can fix that too
Thanks for cour comment, Arpe!

The background looks even now "almost better than allowed" - considering
that the single pics were not very close to another at all ... I'd invest
some more work on the background only if I would plan to do a big print. Not
sure if I will right now.

Yes, I guess one could fix the mirrored lettering, but that would mean really
lots and lots of work ... will think about it!

Phil
06-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Phil,

Once again you have done a great job on a unique type of pano (which seems to be your modus operandi). The issue to me is not whether the image
is mirrored, because, as you know, we are taught to read (scan) from left to right... so it is natural.

The series is nice, but the second frame is very interesting becase you can actually see the faces of the people in the plane.

I don't have an answer for it off the top of my head (unless you utilized a zoom...and I'm not too sure that would work either), but the only
inconsistancy (not really a problem though) in the pano is the size of the plane in the second frame.

None-the-less, the issue is going there and taking the issue and continuing to push the envelope on panos. This you have have continued to do over
at least the past year. Super job as usual.

Stephen

06-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Phil,

The series is nice, but the second frame is very interesting becase you can actually see the faces of the people in the plane.

I don't have an answer for it off the top of my head (unless you utilized a zoom...and I'm not too sure that would work either), but the only
inconsistancy (not really a problem though) in the pano is the size of the plane in the second frame.

Stephen
Thanks for your kind words, Stephen, and for pointing out those two things I quoted above.

First the size mismatch from first to second frame. You're right, it is a mismatch - I should increase the size of the first one a bit to better that!

Second the faces of the people in the second frame - do you believe me that I didn't see those before you pointed them out to me? Looks like this frame deserves to get his own decent PP job as a single picture!

Maybe I too often think "pano" and overlook the beauty of single captures that can happen while doing pano shots ...

So thanks again for helping me out here!

Phil
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philzucker Quote
Thanks for your kind words, Stephen, and for pointing out those two things I quoted above.

First the size mismatch from first to second frame. You're right, it is a mismatch - I should increase the size of the first one a bit to better that!

Second the faces of the people in the second frame - do you believe me that I didn't see those before you pointed them out to me? Looks like this frame deserves to get his own decent PP job as a single picture!

Maybe I too often think "pano" and overlook the beauty of single captures that can happen while doing pano shots ...

So thanks again for helping me out here!

Phil
Phil,

That's the great thing about trying to get feedback. Sometimes you get feedback on an image of things you never saw.

Personally, I like panos and mosaics. I feel there is a real place for them in the repetoire of a photographer.
Sometimes the knowledge to produce them will allow you to capture an image that simply isn't possible with
any lens on the market. The problem is that most people on the forum seem to look at panos without making
much in the way of comments.

I guess it is one of those formats that either you love or hate, or perhaps some feel it is too technical to get into
or simply don't have the experience of this technique to critique at this point in time.

I looked at the pano again and in the end decided that the size difference wasn't that big a deal.... it was the
change in direction of the plane orientation from 1 to 2 that had me thinking....which is a dangerous thing.

Keep postin' em. I'll keep looking.

I posted a 24 image mosaic I took on Friday. It is on one of the recent threads. PM if you would with some comments.

Take care, looking forward to more.

Stephen
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

very cool - it's too bad about the "blah" sky - but there's nothing you can do about the weather except try it again another day. very interesting.

06-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice, as usual! (You'd need to do touch-ups to get rid of the building, tail of plane in the background before printing, but I do like it mirrored. In fact, I didn't even notice!)

Phil, please post here more often - I follow your pbase site but it is much better to get the commentary too!

--Sean
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phil, that is a very, very nice pano. From where I sit the mirrow image is fine but I would clone out the buildings and the tail of that plane in the last frame.

I did not realize that there were still some of the JU 52s flying, I still remember them from when they were still numerous.

Take care, Heinrich
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phil, first of all another amazing pano. Most excellent. I'm going to buck the trend here and say I think it would be better going right to left. The mirrored letters on the plane bug me. I think it may be even more effective "backwards" The Chinese will like it better for sure Unlike others I like the buildings and the tail of the other plane, I think it gives scale to Auntie Ju and where she is in relationship to the ground.

NaCl(who says planes can't take off "the wrong way"?) H2O
06-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
very cool - it's too bad about the "blah" sky - but there's nothing you can do about the weather except try it again another day. very interesting.
Thanks for looking and your comment!

Yes, weather was hazy. They had some flights scheduled in the morning that were canceled due to thunderstorm warnings, but the afternoon flights proceeded as planned. More problematic for the passengers than for me - they paid a lot of money and saw mostly haze out of their windows ...

I may have the chance to reshoot sometime later this year - flights are scheduled once a month (or two months) only AFAIK.

Phil
06-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Very nice, as usual! (You'd need to do touch-ups to get rid of the building, tail of plane in the background before printing, but I do like it mirrored. In fact, I didn't even notice!)

Phil, please post here more often - I follow your pbase site but it is much better to get the commentary too!

--Sean
Thanks, Sean. Will think about the second building (guess you mean that) and the tail.

Thanks BTW for your comments on my site! Very much appreciated - and a few days I have made a preliminary visit to yours. Like your style very much! More later on this.

I'll try to post more diligently here ...

Phil
06-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
From where I sit the mirrow image is fine but I would clone out the buildings and the tail of that plane in the last frame.

I did not realize that there were still some of the JU 52s flying, I still remember them from when they were still numerous.
Thanks very much for looking and your comment, Heinrich! Another vote for cloning out some details - noted!

Actually we have - if I can trust the Wikipedia on this - eight "airworthy" Ju 52s today. Have a look here:

List of airworthy Ju 52 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm going to buck the trend here and say I think it would be better going right to left. The mirrored letters on the plane bug me. I think it may be even more effective "backwards" The Chinese will like it better for sure Unlike others I like the buildings and the tail of the other plane, I think it gives scale to Auntie Ju and where she is in relationship to the ground.
Didn't think about Arabian and Chinese culture - thinking too eurocentristic obviously! Seriously, you got a point.

I wouldn't clone out the first building anyway, but the second looks a bit awkward, I think. Will try how it looks without the tail and then decide if it should be left in.

Thanks for your input and for looking! Much appreciated.

Phil