Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stick In The Sand
Posted By: Barnster, 12-04-2009, 11:10 PM

I was at the beach this morning taking a few pics,and noticed this stick well embedded into the sand.The tide was coming in,so I didn't have too long to get down on the sand and take a few shots of it before I got drenched.I used the FA 28-200mm with a circular polariser.I've done two version of this image.One the original colour and the other is infrared.Any comments and positive critisism on both versions is always welcomed.Thanks guys!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Barnster; 07-06-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Views: 5,550
12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely arranged.
The lighting also worked in your favour.
The 'soft' look of the B&W version makes it look like there was vaseline smeared on your lens (or my eyes). The sharper colour version is better in this regard.

Not much else to it - it's not the most interesting of subjects, but it's alright.
12-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The BW version emphasizes the composition the most, which is the strenght of this image (as Ash said, the subject material isn't that interesting). It could do with some more contrast.
12-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going with the B&W one, which I like very much. How does it look in conventional B&W rather than IR?

Jer

12-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

come now with your platitudes guys, this is a stick
12-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I think you got too close. Like Taff said, "It's a stick". Pulling back would enable you to place it in the frame and make a more interesting picture.
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it's a stick.A stick that was well embedded in the sand.I watched a grown man try to pull it out and it wouldn't budge.So I looked at it,laid on the sand and came up with the above results.I do agree that a stick isn't a very interesting subject,but it stood out from the crowd that morning ,stuck in the sand.I mean you say the same thing about a single leaf image.
,"it's a leaf"or you could say that about a sunset image,"it's just the sun".I was just trying something different,and thinking outside the box.Being creative ia a big part of photography.

12-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Damn Brit

You should have guessed that you would get 'stick' for posting a picture of a stick.
You did ask for comments after all and as far as 'positive criticism' goes, all criticism is positive in this context.
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sometimes people forget...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We sometimes see a picture where others don't...photography can be a very subjective medium.
Besides....it's better than a stick in the mud
12-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't really see the need to knock this photo. Granted it's not the most exciting picture ever posted on these forums, but neither are the endless variations of 'bird in a tree' and 'lake with a mountain' that seem to get disproportionate amounts of praise around here. To each his own.
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I don't really see the need to knock this photo. Granted it's not the most exciting picture ever posted on these forums, but neither are the endless variations of 'bird in a tree' and 'lake with a mountain' that seem to get disproportionate amounts of praise around here. To each his own.
That's what I'm trying to say.To me ,I saw a picture in the stick,like the bird in the tree,lake with a mountain etc.I can accept the critisism.Damn Brit,in your first comment,you said its a stick with positive comment after.Taff on the otherhand seemed negative with the positive comments made from other members.Like ,"what's the big deal,it's only a stick"type attitude.We could have that attitude towards alot of images and have dicussions like this.Anyway to be positive,I'm going to keep uploading images up on here,whether it's a stick,rock,brick,feather,whatever.But thanks to the positive members,who may think,yes it's only a stick,but look beyond that and see my point of view.
12-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Barnster, I understand the frustration when someone doesn't see in a photograph what one themselves see's, happens to me all the time. I pride myself on my honesty and often get the rough end of the stick for practicing it.
This does not mean to cause offense, nor directed at you as a person

Taff