Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
LBA vs Life. Money well spent?
Posted By: d.bradley, 06-11-2007, 10:27 PM

I thought I'd take the time to share some photos! (oh and a little taste of my crusade against the consumerism

Many months ago I decided to liquidate my collection of minolta gear and uber-high-end lenses in favour of switching to a more affordable M42 system. Instead of dropping the profits into more expensive camera gear, I decided to squirrel away some funds to finance a road trip with my best friend.

For less than the price my 200/2.8, I bought a 1983 Suzuki GS450T motorcycle and financed a five day ride to the Atlantic ocean and back. It was over 2100km of riding, and one of the best experiences of my life bar none! I had two lenses...my 17/4 Fisheye Takumar and my 50/1.4 SMC Takumar with my pentax k10d. Here are some of the more artistic shots:

(Me on the left)

The full gallery can be found here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the best lenses in the world can only produce good photographs if you go out there and put yourself in beautiful situations. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to go on some real adventures! Don't get caught up in the hype of giving up life in favour of lenses! There is a cure for LBA, and it's called living.

Cheers!
Damian
Views: 1,826
06-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Nice series, nr3 is my fav. in this set.
06-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I totally agree with Ronny. it's a great series and your #3 is a great shot. As far as LBA well that's ones own cure. But for me it's, whats more important (lenses or being able to have the funds for other needs) With 5 kids (all grown) and 4 grand kids, being able to spend a good chunk on them and still being able to afford getting out to shoot is important. I may not be able to travel as much as I like but I still have a few years before I retire and I still have some money saved for the year to get a few new lenses or a new Pentax this fall.
06-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

First I would like to congratulate you on some really great photos Damian. No 3 and 5 are my favourits.
As to the dreaded LBA I have another kind of LBA. Going through a stage of life with a kid and not much money I have gone through online auctions and secondhand shops and found some really good lenses for very little money.
So for my DL I got a M50mm 1.7, F70-210, F35-70, Tokina 135 2.8 and M28mm 2.8. All for less then $150.00. I think that is the beauty with Pentax. So now I can take all the photos I like without having spent a fortune.

Cheers

Eddie

06-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sometimes you need to live life, not just photograph it.

I'm glad you had a great time.
06-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I thought I'd take the time to share some photos! (oh and a little taste of my crusade against the consumerism
Well, you're not going to find opposition from someone who always has at least one M42 lens in the bag.

But seriously, if spending on lenses starts to negatively impact your life, then it truly is an addiction and it should be addressed. Taking trips like yours can sometimes be a matter of finding the time, not finding the money - so all the lenses in the world won't change it one bit. In that scenario, a nice FA* will last a lifetime...hopefully to a time when toting around the world is all you do.
06-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

well said. (and the wet motorcycle B&W is my favorite too.)

06-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Damian,

Really nice series of images there. The 17 is a fantastic lens for those that can access to one.

Consumerism isn't bad... though conspicuous consumption is.

If you need something for a purpose it is a great way to get what you want. To buy something expensive just for the sake of buying it... well some may see that as a problem and it probably is.

BTW, I think 1,3, and 5 are strong images. #3 may be my fovorite of the bunch... though it is a toss-up for the most part.

Stephen
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damian, that are some very nice photos from a trip that you won't forget for a long time. As for LBA, Amen. If one can afford to get whatever one wants that is one thing and O.K. by me. If ones buying habits start to impede family finances that is not so O.K.

Again, thanks for the post and I'll take #3

Take care, Heinrich
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series, #3 is a classic.
Do you have any Pentax lens for sale? :-).
06-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #11

2, 3, and 5 are my favorites. It's kind of a toss up for me. I think some of the greatest qualities of pictures are the stories that go with it. Looks like this is one you'll be able to tell for a long time to come, and I'm sure it will bring enjoyment just thinking about the experience. Great series again, thanks for sharing.
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Damian,
You are soo right. LBA is not necessarily good... and at the end of the day whatever gear we bring with us is tools, nothing more nothing less.

Your trip looks and sounds amazing to me...

My compliments.
06-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind words guys, and the varying opinions on LBA and consumerism It's always fun to stir things up a bit! I just find that I have been so liberated with my time (as much as money) with my current setup. I don't watch ebay like a hawk anymore...or all that time spent googling for a hidden gem. It was fun for a while, but I'd rather be out taking photos and learning to use the gear I am lucky enough to have!
06-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ditto what they said. Great series! looks like a lot of fun. I love bike in the rain.
« Storm #2 | Storm #3 »