Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Changing Lenses
Lens: 12-200 Camera: K20 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8000s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Jimbo, 12-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Playing around with different lenses in the same area. Used both the Pentax 12-24 and my Sigma 70-200 for these shots. The light was just started to hit the grass which really popped the fall color. Cheers JIM

Views: 2,345
12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same beautiful scene, but more uniquely striking results.
Love how the 12-24 renders the colours here.
Very nice, thanks for sharing Jim.
12-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Very nice again! I love the blue colours on the first two pics
12-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The second one is stunning IMHO!

12-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The second one is beautifully composed.

Did you push level or saturation ? Theres banding in the sky near the top border of the image. Ditto on the last image.
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Same beautiful scene, but more uniquely striking results.
Love how the 12-24 renders the colours here.
Very nice, thanks for sharing Jim.
Thanks Ash. I am really liking the 12-24 and getting use to shooting with it. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Very nice again! I love the blue colours on the first two pics
Appreciate you commenting. JIM

QuoteQuote:
second one is stunning IMHO!
Thank you Rense. I like that one too. JIM

QuoteQuote:
The second one is beautifully composed.

Did you push level or saturation ? Theres banding in the sky near the top border of the image. Ditto on the last image.
That is part of it though not the real reason. The sun was coming out to the right and I had to crop some of the side off. I also had a polarizer fillter on and I think I had the adjustments off a bit on the ride side. I turned the darker side to the bottom to bring out the water more. A combination of all three were the reasons. Will watch for that the next go around. Cheers JIM
12-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

I just finished reviewing your last few posts and would like to make a few comments. It seems to me you are overpolarizing many of the images. While many images can use some polarization to lessen Unwanted or overpowering reflections, overdoing it can render images unnatural and remove much wanted spectral light. But most of the compositions are solid, and I really like the second image in this post.

JMR

12-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hey Jimbo - some nice shots again!

At first glance, I liked the second one best but now I'm partial to the first. I usually like a strong foreground intrest, but in this case, it detracts from the far bank and background, both in terms of information and primacy.

It's definitely hard to balance out the polarization - especially on wide angles. I personally always err on the side of over-polarizing when I take mine out. If I'm not being lazy, though, I'll shoot with and without and figure it out later in Lightroom.

The tree's reflected halo is a little distracting...
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That 2nd photo is just phenomenal! What beautiful landscape I've always appreciated the beauty of Canada's countryside...although too cold for me in the winter
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Striking shots Jim. I can't pick a favorite...
12-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I just finished reviewing your last few posts and would like to make a few comments. It seems to me you are overpolarizing many of the images. While many images can use some polarization to lessen Unwanted or overpowering reflections, overdoing it can render images unnatural and remove much wanted spectral light. But most of the compositions are solid, and I really like the second image in this post.

JMR
It's definately a balancing act when using a polarizer filter. With the light changing quickly and the chance of over exposure in this location. Also in the PP process I adjusted levels to bring out the shadow areas lost in the sun rise. Is it perfect and for me it is all about the learning process. I think everyone approaches shooting differently. I use a number of filters to try to limit the amount of PP. Again, its a balancing act. I wish I could move where the sun rises here as it is always on my right on 75% of the shots. I will keep your comments in mind on my next outing. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Hey Jimbo - some nice shots again!

At first glance, I liked the second one best but now I'm partial to the first. I usually like a strong foreground intrest, but in this case, it detracts from the far bank and background, both in terms of information and primacy.

It's definitely hard to balance out the polarization - especially on wide angles. I personally always err on the side of over-polarizing when I take mine out. If I'm not being lazy, though, I'll shoot with and without and figure it out later in Lightroom.

The tree's reflected halo is a little distracting
Appreciate you taking the time to review my images. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Striking shots Jim. I can't pick a favorite...
Thanks Josh. JIM
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That 2nd photo is just phenomenal! What beautiful landscape I've always appreciated the beauty of Canada's countryside...although too cold for me in the winter
Thanks Jan. Not all of Canada gets really cold!! Just 90%. JIM
12-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Jim, another wow from me! Wonderful darkish warm light, what a beautiful place!
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, another wow from me! Wonderful darkish warm light, what a beautiful place!
Thanks Georg. JIM