Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Love her eyes!
Lens: 135mm Camera: Pentax K7 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Falcons, 12-07-2009, 05:24 AM

Just received a Tosner (Toshiba) 135mm F2.8 lens bought off Ebay for $40Aus - I didn't know what to expect but I am actually quite impressed with it.

This is my very first shot with it, a quick snap of my girlfriend - just love her eyes.

Attached Images

Views: 2,077
12-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cute girlfriend
I like the photo, but to me it looks like you might have missed the focus on her eyes just slightly. IMO it looks a bit like her forehead is in sharper focus, which distracts slightly.

Saying that, it's just a test (well, first) shot anyway, but thought I would mention it. I would like to see what else you can do with the lens, looks interesting.

cheers,
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Trying to get the focus on the eyes are hard ... I have a hard time getting it right with my 7 mo son ..... It's rare for me to get it right.

I find shooting anything under f/4 for a face makes it hard getting enough DOF to pick up the eyes in focus ... most of the time i get the nose/forehead like above.

Your best bet is f/4 to f/5.6 to make sure you get the face (especially the eyes) in focus ... the DOF is still shallow enough to separate the person from the background nicely still. If light is an issue ... try some bounce flash if you can ... it really can light the eyes up that little bit more with some catch light as well.
12-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Damn Brit

The slow shutter speed could account for just missing the focus.

12-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments - the shot was a bit of a test, haven't posted anything for ages since all my gear was stolen.
Just starting to rebuild my collection of glass etc - Looking forward to starting to post more soon.
12-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bugger about everything getting nicked .... I really need to catalogue my gear and get it insured ... I don't have that much ... but it'd be annoying to lose it all the same.