Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yellowstone!
Posted By: JahJahwarrior, 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM

I took 1300 pictures, and haven't even seen them all yet I had a blast shooting in Yellowstone for a week on a family vacation! We took our pastor's family (actually, less than half of it, he's got 10 kids.We only took the ones living at home) with us, so I'm not related to everyone inth epictures Pentax *ist Ds, a 500 f8, 135 f2.8 35-70 f3.5/4.5 and 28 f2 were my lenses. That's without taking into account the crop factor.

My sensor was and is still dirty, you might find some spots in the photos from that. I really don't like touching up photos much, none of these have been edited. If I find one I really love tha tneeds some work, I'll tweak, but I love seeing how good of a photo I can get without touching anything later. I run sound, and I hardly ever use EQ. If I have to, I do, but I try to alter the sound at the source if I can, and I'm the same way with photos.

This Chipmunk (or is it a squirrel? I'm a photog, not an animal expert!) found us on the way to a geyser by the river a mile or two from Old Faithful.

This bison found us just before the chipmunk did. I was about 10 feet from this guy. Didn't realize it until I took the camera away from my eye and nearly jumped out of my skin.

My brother is sliding down some snow, on his jacket. Apparently, he got some snow in his shoes, as the next picture is him getting snow out of his shoes. Shooting on snow was quite the challenge, faces are dark in alot of my shots because the snow was SO bright!

This was taken at the beginning of the trip. I don't like it tons, you'll see one from later in the trip in a minute. One big thing is, I took two and in each one, someone was squinting or had eyes closed. I'd appreciate pointers on taking group/portrait like photos, if anyone has any! As a side note, I didn't ask to take this, I kept getting asked by people to take pictures for them. This is the pastor's family who came with us. Tetons in the background.

Father/Daughter moment. Daughter flew with the main group, the dad flew with my dad in his small single engine plane he owns with a few other guys, and this was the end of the trip, where we parted ways for a few days. I took pictures while they weren't looking because I thought it was so touching

This was a cute dog. We had stopped to watch an otter play in a river, and so did this lady with her dog.

One night, we went fishing at a lake, Lewis Lake I believe. Mel chilled on the dock, and when I was done helping all the younger ones setup their rods, I spent some time photographing her. She caught on after a few shots but as long as I didn't get her face she didn't mind too much. I think she thinks she's not good looking, but I also think she is good looking And the lake lighting was perfect! Some sunset shots I took didn't seem to upload to Flickr correctly....

Another portrait: I like this one better. It's a little bright, but it's the best pose I've gotten so far from them--the ones that had better exposure didn't look as good.

This was taken just after the father/daughter moment, and just before the above portrait.

Views: 1,773
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series of images This is what photography is all about... remembering family and places and doing it with great equipment

I loved when I took my kids there 20+ years ago and I remember it like yesterday... thanks to your images

Stephen
06-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good series JahJah,
I reckon I met the same chipmonk when we were there....looks very familiar.
Yellowstone is an amazing place, as are so many of your parks.
Thanks for posting.
Grant
06-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have some great pictures here, memories for a long time to come. Thanks for sharing them,

Heinrich