Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
from the "you will have the wrong lens on" dept
Posted By: NaClH2O, 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM

As many of you know, I'm terrible at insect macros. So the other week I was shooting Rhododendrons and had on the Zenitar because I was alternating between close up shots and shots of the whole bushes and didn't feel like changing lenses all the time. So this Tiger Swallowtail butterfly flies by, lands on the bush right in fron of me, crawls into a flower and starts to feed. I just knew that if I tried to change lenses, the stupid thing would be gone by the time I got my Tamron mounted. So here's a "close up" shot (too far away to be called a macro) of the back end of this butterfly munching away. And for good measure I've included a large crop of the same shot.
DS, Zenitar 16mm 1/125 sec aperture unknown

NaCl(probably as close to an insect macro I'll get in a long while)H2O
Views: 1,533
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pic's Salty. They didn't show up the first time that the page loaded for me.
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi NaCL(where did the "east" part go?)H2O

Well I just hate when that happens... but you got a really nice shot out of it anyway...

and you were closer to an insect macro than I most likely will ever be
06-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the uncropped one Salty - nothing like catching nature catching a snack - nicely done with the tools at hand

06-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

better to just take the shot to remind yourself of what you saw, then miss taking anything by changing a lens. (freakin' birds have been doing that to me lately... saw a huge pileated woodpecker the other day, landed in the tree not 20 feet away - I was so ticked I had my 40mm lens on - I should've just snapped a picture and been happy with it - but no, I wanted to get the other lens out - of course it was gone before I even had the zipper open on the bag.

*shrug*
06-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, I like it! It's neat seeing the butterfly really jamming itself into the blossom, and I think having the whole context is a good thing. I don't think it was the "wrong" lens at all.

Julie