Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The River Lock
Posted By: PentX Girl, 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM

These are not the usual photos I shoot..so I'm like a fish out of water I guess these are more like snapshots of a subject I'm not familiar with but I'm still trying to tell the story

http://jotterjan.smugmug.com/Boats/River-Lock/IMGP1973/738143555_gDHih-L.jpg

Views: 1,698
12-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An enjoyable series in a pleasant venue.
Thanks for sharing.
12-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series. Looks like a awesome place to photograph in. Cheers JIM
12-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jimbo and Ash...the real story is it was ugly and cold and I drove down a long dirt road looking for deer with my K-x and came up empty. This was at the end of the road

12-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A very pleasent series indeed.

For the second image, there is a brilliantly red leaf among the ones you photographed. If you had focussed (composition-wise) more on that leaf, it could've resulted in a much more dramatic picture.
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Do you happen to know what the tower is for in the third one? I used to hunt on the other side of the river and we always wondered. If you get a chance to take a boat across to the other side there are some good photo ops around the fish ladder and in that general area, just look out for rattlers in the rocks.
12-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
A very pleasent series indeed.

For the second image, there is a brilliantly red leaf among the ones you photographed. If you had focussed (composition-wise) more on that leaf, it could've resulted in a much more dramatic picture.
Thanks Kevin for the good advice...I'll use that pointer next time I get a chance.

12-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Horseonthefly Quote
Do you happen to know what the tower is for in the third one? I used to hunt on the other side of the river and we always wondered. If you get a chance to take a boat across to the other side there are some good photo ops around the fish ladder and in that general area, just look out for rattlers in the rocks.
I'm not sure what it's for...but will find out next trip down there. My fellow hospital employees are always amazed at the trouble I get in with my photography. So far I've been bitten by a Brown Recluse...got Lyme Disease from a tick...and the rumor is that it will be a snake bite next! Guess I'll stay on this side of the river. lol
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Horseonthefly Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Thanks Kevin for the good advice...I'll use that pointer next time I get a chance.
Nice series - I worked as a deckhand during college summers on Mississippi River tows, so I'm fascinated by locks and dams and river commerce.

Can't say about the Huske Lock site, but in Missouri such towers contain remote river stage measurement equipment (reporting how high the water is). This is meaningful during floods and droughts for the Corps of Engineers to close a river to navigation.

There's some interesting internet stuff on decommissioning and demolishing the three dams on this river and restoring the fish habitat, which was considered in 2006. I'm quite curious what the Corps of Engineers Debrisboat Snell was doing at the site - raising the dam gates to regulate the pool level? Opening the lock for passing recreational craft (done by appointment only at this lock)?

Commercial use of the Locks ended years ago and the Corps wants to get out of the locks business on the Cape Fear River and remove the dams - but there are shoreline recreational interests and municipal water departments that oppose lowering the river level 15 feet if the locks were removed.

I'd love to have been there for your photo session.
12-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fascinating thanks for the info...I'll do a little research on the internet tonight and read up on it.