Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
"Highside Exit" took 1st Place in DPReview "Missed It by THAT much, Part 1" Challenge
Posted By: MRRiley, 12-12-2009, 07:41 PM

I had a good day today!
We had a great social and shoot and then found out that my Highside Exit" photo took 1st in the "Missed it by THAT much, Part 1" challenge on DPReview.

Mike
Views: 11,317
12-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Been there. Done that. Have the scars. But I don't have a great photo of the low altitude flight. Well done!

Hard to figure out what that guy did to get him into that much trouble. An early generation Yamaha R6 like that one doesn't really have the torque to light up the rear tire mid-corner, so I suspect he just went in too hot, panicked, and froze until the bike spit him off. As other mentioned, the street boots and what look to be virgin knee pucks suggest that he's pretty new to racing.

In any case, a well-deserved award!
Actually John, there is a tiny dip right before he slid out. I think, as you say, he came in too hot and hit it just wrong, which unloaded the rear end, kicking it up and out. When the rear reloaded the front unloaded and it was all but over. The bike swapped ends and then dug in and bounced just enough to eject him. Fortunately he and the bike slide off the track into the outfield grass after only about 20-30 yards. Lucky part was that there was nobody right on his ass or it woulda gotten real messy.

Shots like this are where reading the track comes in. I'd been watching rides get loose there all day and, while I never expected such a dramatic highside, I was expecting someone to slide out.

Mike

12-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mike,your image should be on a campaign for cowboy riders who think they are invincable on our roads.The slogen,"This Is What could Happen To You If You Ride Like A Dickhead".What do you think????
12-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Stunning shot, you fully deserves the first place you got with it !
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Congratulations Mike...great action shot! Sort of like...exit stage right

12-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks RB and Jan!

Barn... I agree totally about the cowboys who ride like public roads are their own personal racetracks. Please don't judge all, or even most, bikers by the actions of the few, but very noticable, idiots.

Mike
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks RB and Jan!

Barn... I agree totally about the cowboys who ride like public roads are their own personal racetracks. Please don't judge all, or even most, bikers by the actions of the few, but very noticable, idiots.

Mike
No,I definately don't judge all motor cyclists Mike.Iam a everyday motorcycle rider myself. It would only be aimed towards those few noticeable idiots and also the young and inexperienced who thinks they are invincable.There the ones that make the rest of us look bad.
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Impressive feat.
02-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Just saw this post. Love the shot - and I think the framing is perfect. It really gives you the Oh Sh&%! feeling

Btw. Something just looked familiar, and I dug up this one from the WERA Cycle Jam at VIR back in August. I figure the scratches on his helmet and leathers in my shot happened very shortly after you snapped yours...

02-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats, Mike - it's a great shot, since it gives you an idea of how things started but leaves you in suspense about how they will end.

Jer
02-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Congratulations Mike...spectacular captures!
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
Just saw this post. Love the shot - and I think the framing is perfect. It really gives you the Oh Sh&%! feeling

Btw. Something just looked familiar, and I dug up this one from the WERA Cycle Jam at VIR back in August. I figure the scratches on his helmet and leathers in my shot happened very shortly after you snapped yours...

Nice shot Emil and nice to see Dustin looking so well. When I saw him in July (the highside happened in May) he was recovering but the bike was still pretty banged up. I can tell you he really appreciated the 8X10s I gave him of the shots of the wreck (it's my personal policy to give copies of these kind of shots to the rider who wrecked).

Mike
02-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! An amazing capture!
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shot Emil and nice to see Dustin looking so well. When I saw him in July (the highside happened in May) he was recovering but the bike was still pretty banged up. I can tell you he really appreciated the 8X10s I gave him of the shots of the wreck (it's my personal policy to give copies of these kind of shots to the rider who wrecked).

Mike
Thanks. Not a bad photo, but not one of the best either

I remembered you mentioned giving the guys free shots of their wrecks, so I decided to do that with one of the few ones I caught last year. They weren't particularly in-focus, so I put together a 8x10 collage and gave to this guy.