Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Aid
Lens: 20mm Camera: K100D + Kit Lens ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: bluespearbone, 12-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help with the previous shot.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/82460-landscape-aid-inept-how-would-you-crop.html

It's great to be joining in again, and picking up the learning curves.
Hope you folk don't mind too much if I bore you with this one

Taken on the same day; Have cropped around 6% off the right and bottom of this shot, in an effort to better position the tree and building. Also messed with the curves a little to lift contrast.

Name:  PF01.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  117.1 KB

Any suggestions on what more to do with shot very much appreciated.

Views: 1,880
12-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could do with some straightening, the house and tree both stand a little off to the right, as does the horizon. But nonetheless a fine capture!
12-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Crop and masked curves.

edit: oops I opened up the house too much and lost the silhouette - which made the image in pano format. "Being able to do something doesn't mean you should!"

Last edited by Frank Fletcher; 12-13-2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: stated above
12-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the original photo, the contrast of the foreground does not match that of the sky. Also it looks like there was a poor mask on the left near the house - not sure if this is natural but it doesn't look it.

The photo looks much better if you bring deepen the shadows of the foreground, leaving the sky/house/top grass as is.

12-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kevin and Frank, Thanks for taking the time to help. Wondering what best to do with this image; Like it but it seems to need something...

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
It could do with some straightening, the house and tree both stand a little off to the right, as does the horizon. But nonetheless a fine capture!
Kevin, Have used the left edge of the building as the straight, hope it looks better now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank Fletcher Quote
In the original photo, the contrast of the foreground does not match that of the sky. Also it looks like there was a poor mask on the left near the house - not sure if this is natural but it doesn't look it.

The photo looks much better if you bring deepen the shadows of the foreground, leaving the sky/house/top grass as is.
Frank, Haven't masked as best as am aware. Now nuked the previous curves adjustment and tried again.

Name:  PF02.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  85.3 KB

Does this one look more balanced?
12-14-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi John - It's looking better! I have to say though that the one thing that bugs me in both the final edit of your original photo "aid the inept" as well as this last version of this photo is the hyper-saturated green grass. It's all a little unreal for me. Now - for many people, that's their cup of tea - no judgement. That being said, the foreground definitely has more punch now... while the sky lacks depth and contrast.

In many natural scenes, we (I) look to for either balance or deliberate imbalance across the image. This is most true for tone and contrast. In this case, neither tone nor contrast is balanced from top to bottom.

Other issues with this image are the foreground is indistinct, yet takes up too much of the image. In other words, it's huge but not a subject in itself - there is no central focus in the foreground. The subject is all in the background - so the foreground is mostly a distraction for me. I would either get rid of the foreground or balance the subjects in the background with a specific subject in the foreground (requireing a re-shoot).

The purple fringing in the tree should be desaturated.

The new tone curve has introduced a strong yellow cast (increase blue midtone/highlight curve to control this).

Ok... so now I sound overly critical. I don't mean to - this is just how I look at a photo from a technical stand point. it's not a bad scene at all - just needs some tweaking.

Here is a quickie sorta edit:

Do you use Photoshop? If so, you can see what it took to get me there from your last photo:

http://rhythmicnature.com/temporary-other/PF02-play.psd

Note that the house needs to be opened up again after all the edits.
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers Frank. Have had a quick stab at trying to replicate what you have done (many thanks for taking the time). Looks like have a fair amount PP to learn - which will keep me pleasantly occupied during the christmas holdays.

Thanks again

12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Frank,the PP of the image makes the image look like a million bucks compared to the original.I was looking at the original,and was thinking that it was missing something,and to see your version of it has eased my mind on what the image needed to improve it.John,your original is a good image,but I think what Frank did was needed.In this case,less is best!
12-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey thanks, Barnster!