Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Indian Wedding
Camera: K100D Aperture: F2 
Posted By: pb_red, 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM

hi all, i am just curious what others think of these photos:
Picasa Web Albums - rajairin - Pavel and Ste...

they were all taken with a K100D + old 50mm manual focus lens set to F2 for the entire time of the shoot.
ISO was auto and should be maxed out. all PP was done in Lightroom.

What do you think of these not-tack-sharp-grainy-over-processed pics?

here's a sample:

Views: 1,964
12-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you've summarised some of the fundamental problems with this sample image: not sharp, not well framed, poor WB choice (far too warm), distracting background.

f/2 gives such shallow DoF for these situations, but I can appreciate that with no flash you probably had little choice, or you'd have more camera shake than what's already exhibited.
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vertically, their heads are dead centre. Pictures usually, but nearly always, become more balanced when points of interest (in case of people/animals: the eyes) are at one thirds from the border of the picture. See: Rule of Thirds

Also, you seem to have some hot pixels.

Though, the warm look and the graininess don't bother me the slightest - I quite like the feel it creates. You also focussed well (I know how much a pain a K100D can be with a manual lens in dark situations), it's just your composition that's lacking.
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

After seeing the other images, I have to say they send the mood of the evening alright. And I think that for reasonably small prints some images could be picked.

Not sure whether I have the numbers right, but 22 and 35 are plenty sharp for me and what a cool phase efect on the last one.

12-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
interesting comments...

when i was at the wedding i was not there to be a photographer and i did not bring the equipment for such a job. basically, i was just a guy having a good time going "click" a few times here and there.

what i was hoping for was that the "problems" (high ISO for example) would be like scars and add character to the photos. likewise, i was hoping that PP would add a little spice to poorly lit subjects.

overall, i am getting mixed feedback from these shots. the bride and the family really liked them but more serious photographers seem to focus on technical imperfections

edit: kolista2, thanks! also, i forgot to mention that the last 2 shots were taken with the kit 18-55mm (don't remember the settings). the last shot was an accident that turned out incredibly well.
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

I like them. While I won't say the composition is the most appealing, I think the noise, softness, and PP add an element to the photo.

I notice a lot of people on here miss the artistic element of photography when critisizing other's work. Technical imperfections, in my opinion, need only apply in certain types of photography-modeling, product representation, journalism.

Other than that, I think some people become "sharp-driven" and shake their head at anything with noise or softness when, in reality, most film photography looked like this 10 years ago.