Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
High fashion. [9x 600res images in two posts]
Posted By: Asad_Masede, 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM

This isn't too recent, but from a couple of months ago. Shot these for a friend of mine, she designed the dresses and wanted some shots of them taken.

All isn't my doing though, since the model knew how to pose very well, very comfortable in front of the camera, what every photographer wants, fluid and comfortable models, not stiff and shy.

This is a candid type shot before she actually started posing... wanted to show some of the conditions: light rain. Sigma 70-200/2.8 @ 200mm and F4, ISO 400, K10D:

Same settings as the above shot:

Using the orange light whenever possible: Sigma again.

Changed background:

I think this is my favorite of the lot: Still Sigma.

Continued in the next post...
Views: 1,933
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More...

high ISO + flash, I did warn them about the noise, but since the printing wouldn't be that big, it was fine:

This one is with the 31mm: F4, ISO200, very slight strobe.

FA31 again, ISO100, full blown studio setup, F8:

FA77 for the detail:

Comments and critique are always appreciated.

cheers!
-Asad
06-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Some very well done shots here! I like your use of natural light and the reserved use of flash when it was needed. Just a personal preference, but I find location shots far more interesting than studio shots, in general. But, your last shot, with it's unique composition is quite nice.

I really like #1, though I wish her feet weren't cut off. But, #5 has got to be my favorite. The cool color tones, the composition, her pose. Here's one nitpick... I wish I couldn't see the end of her pants. I very slight crop at the bottom would make it perfect.

Well done! The dress designer does some very unique work and you've captured the feel of the clothing/model nicely!
06-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you've found your calling!

Hi Asad!

These are great! Were they happy with them?

I would've like to see the shoes in #1, though. I know, typical.

06-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Some very well done shots here! I like your use of natural light and the reserved use of flash when it was needed. Just a personal preference, but I find location shots far more interesting than studio shots, in general. But, your last shot, with it's unique composition is quite nice.

I really like #1, though I wish her feet weren't cut off. But, #5 has got to be my favorite. The cool color tones, the composition, her pose. Here's one nitpick... I wish I couldn't see the end of her pants. I very slight crop at the bottom would make it perfect.

Well done! The dress designer does some very unique work and you've captured the feel of the clothing/model nicely!
Thanks for the kind words, Hamid! Yeah, unfortunately the first shot is a full shot so I can't produce an un-cropped version, but for #5 I can definitely do that, and here it is:

I think I like this better as well. I'm a natural light photographer first and foremost, so I enjoy out of studio shots more than studio settings, even though studio lighting gives you more control.

Cheers,
-Asad
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Asad,

I see you've been busy up there. I like these for the most part. She's an attractive girl, but I think I'd like to buy her a nice big dinner, complete with steak, potatoes, and dessert. I don't care so much for the last one in the first set or the first one in the second set. The colors don't work for me, but maybe they do for your friend.

The first studio shot is good on composition, but I don't think you got her skin tones quite right. The second studio shot I think gets cleaner skin tones. Then again, with the ink, who knows what her skin tone is? Sorry, personal bias there. I'm just old enough to dislike tattoos and piercings.

Good to see you post again.

-E
06-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Hamid! Yeah, unfortunately the first shot is a full shot so I can't produce an un-cropped version, but for #5 I can definitely do that, and here it is:

I think I like this better as well. I'm a natural light photographer first and foremost, so I enjoy out of studio shots more than studio settings, even though studio lighting gives you more control.

Cheers,
-Asad
yeah yeah!!! Groovin'! Love it!
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Asad!

These are great! Were they happy with them?

I would've like to see the shoes in #1, though. I know, typical.
Hi Tracy! Thanks for the compliment, and yes they were very happy, in fact these got entered into a portfolio of her's, they look really good printed, which I don't often see since my laziness prevents me from printing my images on a regular basis.

Well as I said to Hamid, can't produce that same shot in an un-cropped version, but I can show a similar shot with the shoes in them. Here it is:

Cheers,
-Asad

06-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Hi Asad,

I see you've been busy up there. I like these for the most part. She's an attractive girl, but I think I'd like to buy her a nice big dinner, complete with steak, potatoes, and dessert. I don't care so much for the last one in the first set or the first one in the second set. The colors don't work for me, but maybe they do for your friend.

The first studio shot is good on composition, but I don't think you got her skin tones quite right. The second studio shot I think gets cleaner skin tones. Then again, with the ink, who knows what her skin tone is? Sorry, personal bias there. I'm just old enough to dislike tattoos and piercings.

Good to see you post again.

-E
Hi Ericc!

Haha, yes a nice steak meal would do her good, but from what she was telling me, she eats a lot, also, she's 6'2" tall, the food, she said, just vanishes...

About the skin tones, I'll agree with you 100%, even I found it a little off, now I'm not sure whether it's a mixture of ambient tungsten light + strobes or was it the K10D's AWB that messed up, needless to say I need to make taking custom WB readings on important shoots such as this, a standard practice.

Tatto's aren't my thing either, but whatever the customer wants, we gotta deliver.

Cheers,
-Asad
06-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pic's Asad, I wish that I had the chance to try that sort of setting.

I'm kicking myself.. I should have tried to get together with you for a few min 2 weeks ago when I was in Vancouver
06-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Nice pic's Asad, I wish that I had the chance to try that sort of setting.

I'm kicking myself.. I should have tried to get together with you for a few min 2 weeks ago when I was in Vancouver
Thanks, Stu!

As for getting together, no kidding, should get in touch next time you're in town, I'm only an e-mail or phone-call away; I'll be sure to let you know when/if I visit the Okanagan, the busy metropolis can get to me, getting out for a little bit is always a good thing.

Cheers,
-Asad
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice work. Nit picking aside, I think they show off the clothes nicely and assume that they look good printed.
Nice looking model; I don't get the tats either.
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Nice work. Nit picking aside, I think they show off the clothes nicely and assume that they look good printed.
Nice looking model; I don't get the tats either.
Thanks Peter! Yes, I definitely need to print more of my images.

Here's the thing with me and tats: I'll hate it after 6 months if I ever got one.

Cheers,
-Asad