Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Conference dinner
Posted By: Ash, 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM

G'day all.

These are simple portraits of people taken at a recent conference dinner. The first 3 were taken with the FA50/1.4 and the last one with thte DA18-55, all with a standard auto flash bounced off a high ceiling, and in JPEG mode with no PP.

I'm looking for CC with regards to the technicalities of taking indoor shots, and if anyone sees noticeable racoon eyes, etc. Basically I'm interested to know if these photos are acceptable for clients.

Views: 2,218
06-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Guess that means they're not so good.
Back to portrait shooting lessons...
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think we're all just jealous that you get to work with such beautiful subjects Well, at least the men on here are anyway !! By the way, nice shots, and feel free to post more beautiful woman portraits, hehe
06-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm looking for CC with regards to the technicalities of taking indoor shots, and if anyone sees noticeable racoon eyes, etc. Basically I'm interested to know if these photos are acceptable for clients.
Depends on clients, obviously

First one is tad too yellow/red for my taste, especially when compared to others. But otherwise fine. (though see the note about hand below)

In the second picture the red hat has lost all it's shades in front. It's red all over from top to bottom and looks two-dimensional. I don't know about others but I'm much less bothered with blown whites than with blown other colors. That red is somewhat distracting.

Third one looks the best, if just a bit unsharp. Also she has flash reflecting from one eye but not from another. You might want to fix that and make eyes look the same. It gives somewhat, well... not exactly the brightest look on her face. If your concience allows, try adding sparkle to her other eye too.

Fourth is okay too, foreground lady being white does't bother me much, but perhaps it might bother her. What is just slightly distracting is that red balloon creeping in in the upper right corner. I know, I know, it's hard to notice these things during shooting but since you asked for CC then it's worth mentioning.

Also, another hard thing is not to cut off peoples fingers and elbows. If I was picky I'd like to see either less or more first pic lady's right hand and more of last pic's girl fingers.

So, that is essentially what I would tell, if any of those girls happened to be my friend and she asked my opinion about these pictures

But we're jelaous indeed, my subjects usually tend to be quite camera-shy

06-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #5

The first one is a nice shot of a beautiful girl, but the angle of the photo and the necklace draw my eyes from her beautiful face to her out of focus chest...a very fine looking chest, but I am not sure her chest was meant to be the highlight of the photograph.
The third one is a fun shot. Good capture.
The second and 4th shot seem to be pretty washed out in the faces...not sure if its the low res copies posted here, or something else.
Thanks for sharing.
06-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots looks like a good time. It really depends on the client wants and needs . they are certainly all good enough to be shown I think, however if you want one mans opinion

The first I agree with fletcherkane that the cleavage takes away from the shot albiet that is a males persective. Also her left eye underneath could use some smoothing.

Second shot I think the chin area is a little overexposed

Third shot her left eye looks a little lazy - if that is natural cool

Fouth shot the first Girl on the left he face looks overexposed similar to the second shot

This is being anal and some of it may be my monitor - I think if you printed them out and had a look before your showed them to the client that would help.

Hope that helps.
06-19-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All of your critique has served me well - it's helping me develop an eye for photo perfection. I understand not all clients would be picky about such details, but I would like to be. 'Anality' is good - the perfect shot is so much more appealing than an OK shot... So again, thanks all - this is indeed the best forum I've come across. You guys are the best!