Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
London - A Tube Series
Lens: from 16 to 45mm Camera: K10D 
Posted By: Deimo, 12-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Here is a series of photos all taken in November in the London Underground.
Lens: DA 16-45mm.

- Mind the gap - or mind the station?

- on the escalator

- gloves 'n bags

- muse

- waiting

- arrival

- transit

Last edited by Deimo; 12-20-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Views: 3,444
12-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting series Deimo - the only image missing is the tube packed like a sardine tin - only kidding.

They're very good - #1, #2, #6 & #7 really remind of the place. Well done.

Cheers
12-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

some fantastic shots there well done
12-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series that reminds me how much I enjoyed London when I was there.

Jer

12-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all,
i really did enjoy London, so many shots to take, but i really missed the sardineshot.

Last edited by Deimo; 12-21-2009 at 11:23 AM.
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great series and have fun in Christmas
12-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How many times did you get stopped while shooting?
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
How many times did you get stopped while shooting?
em, i think i don't understand the question.
Do you mean how many times people keep saying "stop doing that!"???

12-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series. I like how well they turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimo Quote
em, i think i don't understand the question.
Do you mean how many times people keep saying "stop doing that!"???
I suspect dragonfly means "hassled by the man".

FWIW when I went to Europe I was never hassled for using my camera. It's a different story here in Seattle.
12-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
if so, then the answer is: zero times.
everything was totally hassle-free, even the women with the gloves 'n bags did not show any nervousness.

Honestly i cannot remember any real hassle when shooting.
(the only one who causes trouble is my girlfriend :-) )

Last edited by Deimo; 12-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

How did you escape the Metropolitan Police? I mean they shot Menenez just for the sake of his existence and completely innocent photographers are questioned or taken into custody on what seems a regular basis by now.

Anyway, a very nice series. Nothing spectacular, but telling a story, which is really good.

Ben
12-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

if so, then the answer is: zero times.
everything was totally hassle-free, even the women with the gloves 'n bags did not show any nervousness.

Honestly i cannot remember any real hassle when shooting.
(the only one who causes trouble is my girlfriend :-) )
I was there in October/November and can second that. No problems in taking images.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
How did you escape the Metropolitan Police? I mean they shot Menenez just for the sake of his existence and completely innocent photographers are questioned or taken into custody on what seems a regular basis by now.

Anyway, a very nice series. Nothing spectacular, but telling a story, which is really good.

Ben
The MP were present but not aggressive. I took images around the Houses of Parliament, assorted Museums, city streets etc with no problems.

I even used my gorillapod on one of their barriers to photograph Parliament without challenge in full view of the police.

Only Harrods security challenged me - made me carry my slingbag in my hand (its only a 100AW - about the size of a woman's large handbag but they can carry that )

If the Brits stopped photography, they'd kill their tourism, and that something they rely on economically.

Cheers
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Ben
The "Shoot to kill policy" is really a rigorous approach.

I just wanted to show the normal things in the tube.
Next time i place my 12-24mm inbetween the tracks and shot with a remote when the train is approaching. Would that be more spectacular? :-)
12-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The "Shoot to kill policy" is really a rigorous approach.

I just wanted to show the normal things in the tube.
Next time i place my 12-24mm inbetween the tracks and shot with a remote when the train is approaching. Would that be more spectacular? :-)
"not spectacular" was in no way meant disrespectful! I personally like that style of photography very much and may be, it is even harder to achive, than the single "wow" shot. But I also like Scandinavian films...

Ben
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
I was there in October/November and can second that. No problems in taking images.

The MP were present but not aggressive. I took images around the Houses of Parliament, assorted Museums, city streets etc with no problems.

I even used my gorillapod on one of their barriers to photograph Parliament without challenge in full view of the police.

Only Harrods security challenged me - made me carry my slingbag in my hand (its only a 100AW - about the size of a woman's large handbag but they can carry that )

If the Brits stopped photography, they'd kill their tourism, and that something they rely on economically.
Cheers
You were simply lucky (o.k. I am bit overemphasizing), but look here:

Police delete London tourists' photos 'to prevent terrorism' | UK news | guardian.co.uk
London Warns Citizens About "Odd" Photographers, Terrorists
London’s Metropolitan Police Launches Anti Photography Propaganda Campaign
BBC Top Gear photographer: Met Police are a 'nightmare' news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
Photographers will be stopped under terror law, says Met 'advice' (update 3.30pm) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
Surveillance Police grab Press Photographers Camera on Gaza anti-BBC Protest - 24.01.09 - Images | PhotoShelter
Birmingham police officer ‘forced press photographer to delete images’ One Eye on the Road
London Streets Get More Hostile for Photographers
Photographer beaten, detained in London for being "cocky" to policeman who implies she is a terrorist Boing Boing
BJP: Photographers sue Met Police for treatment at Greek embassy protests | Journalism.co.uk Editors' Blog

By the way: the Harrods security has been tightened over the last ten years. But not because of terrorism fear, but because photographing tourists are seen as a nuissance to buying customers. As it is inside a private property I can understand that and at least I was always treated politely (though firmly) by the guys.

Ben